200a HO alternator with 4 guage wire?

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 129
ok, I got my 200a alternator, and yes it does 200a @ idle in a large case.

Can someone confirm:
My question is even though I have 200a at idle, my 4guage wire will only send 130a of current to my amps? My wire is approx 16ft.

I had the 4gauge wire for my 105a alternator.
I also plan on adding a second battery, that is already laying around somewhere.

1/0gauge overkill? I was think 2ga would be fine.
I just want my full 200a at idle.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3718
with 0 G wire u will never have 2 worry about it again but its so thick & expensive too .

i like 2 use this guide
http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

as u will see 4 G can't do much cause i know ur runnig\ng @ least 800wrms with those Treo + u must have a separate amp 4 highs/mids ......

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 132
honestly this thing is dam loud now, so Im not going to be doing too much upgrading, as far as amps now...

I will however be adding another Treo! Double ported box or something. I have (2)dual 4ohms, so if i buy a new dual 2ohm, I can get a ohm load of 1.2 i think with all three subs. I got to look over my notes, when i jotted it down.

Rovin this guide says 4gauge pass 150a, but bcae said 131a (diff numbers)

So im diffentily NOT PASSING 200a?

I have 2 amps: 1225rms(d) + 280rms(ab)

I can locally get 0ga kit for 70$ but only 18ft then extra 20$ for ANL fuse.
I can also just purchase the plain wire, and add the fuse. I didnt buy a kit last time. Paid 20$ for 25ft of 4ga.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 133
also it looks like if I do go with 0ga I will have to upgrade my HO alt again>>> I dont want to do that! I dont have 350a to send through it. Only 200a.
Or will there be a noticable diffrence between the 0ga & the 2ga?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3721
never checked it on bcae1 cause i just like the layout of 12volt better -lol , do compare with other sites too

i would get 2G wire wire like what i'm doing with my own project right now . I'm gonna be running 2 Rs off Mb raa1000 amp & my 4 Inf ref 6.5 comps off an Alpine F545 amp - so thats 1000 + 500 = 1500wrms which calls for 2G cable .

Started my install yesterday & did some 2day - would take me a wk doing it part time due 2 work & the neatness i want my setup 2 come out ....

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 783
?? are you trying to say that a thicker cable will draw more power??.. it makes no difference if you use 1/0 wire or 4/0 wire as long as you meet the requirement for the thickness of wire going thicker will make no difference.. go with the thicker wire.. and remember to use the same thickness of wire to upgrade all your grounds .. otherwise the ho alternator wont be much good

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 134
That system should sound very LOUD once powered right. Im sure you will be satisfied!
I need 2ga wire!, My HO alt made a dramatic difference I must mention. It is excruciatingly loud now. When I pick up my 2ga wire im going to rewire my whole system! Im thinking of using my old 4ga, and runing a NEG from the batt terminal, to back NEG distribution block! Then also another ground wire from the chasis back to the same NEG distribution box>? Then again A battery will be in Parrallel with all of that!
I read somewhere that NEG straight run to the back will make a big difference.
What do you think?

My big 3 wires (on my car 2) are currently:
2ga NEG from batt to engine block (factory)
4ga POS from alternator to BATT (factory: 8ga)
DID I miss a wire? Only ones I saw. LOL

When I get that wire I will Upgrade my POS-2-battery wire with 2ga wire.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 135
Mark what I was saying is that 4ga wire will not pass more than 150a! so the amp sees it as a 150a alternator. even though I have 200a.
"going thicker will make no difference" ? HUH?
The thicker cable should pass more current, if the current is available.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3728
yea - i tested my Rs wth only 100wrms or less & i was already pleased -lol ,i can imagine it with 10 times more power !!!

There is such a thing as too damn loud too - can't understand why ppl would b wanting 4 15s bumping loudly while there are in their ride .

well u can guaranty have secure neg if running all the way 2 the batt but i'm lazy & i would just ground it off on the body securely . Do note your neg ALWAYS have to be = to the size of your + cable .

I thought u were gonna post some new clearer pics ??? - or ur waiting on the complete install 1st ???? .......

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 785
maybe i worded that bad i ment say 2 ga wire draws 200 amps.. it doesnt matter if you use 2 -4/0 wire it will still pass 200 amps.. which is why i would go with the thicker wire to be safe.. and if you do upgrade u have no worries..
i wouldnt run ground from the battery past distro block and all that.. u want the ground as close to the amp as possible

the other ground u want is from battery to chassis or engine to chassis and like i said if your running 1/0 ur gonna wann redo the grounbds

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 136
I will post pics of what i have now, when I get back to my pc. But those 3 Treos will be something else! I can imagine it. Maybe by xmas...
Rovin 1000rms is insanely loud. When are u posting your install? LOL If i had the $$ and one of those new Cadilacs DTS 2k6. I would have to put a stupid system in that. Maybe 3000rms. LOL

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3731
Maybe by week end when i get it done

i wanted 2 take install pics as i go along but my bro has the digital cam right now & he's living down south while i'm in central

Yea me too - if $$ & crime wasn't an issue i'd do 4 13w7s ported in a Toyota Prado SUV just 4 d heck of it & going 2 car shows -lol .

Will use my current (2) 1.65cuft 3" pvc ported box i made 4 my Pioneer 306 sub but idk as yet i might go sealed with them Rs ...............

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 183
i just got 2 alpine type R's and im running them with the orion 1200D and the orion 4002 for my speakers which is a total of 1600watts rms so would i need 0 guage wire i know that already but does brand matter for wire or is it all the same? also what size HO alt would i need to use for the 1600watts and the rest of my car. thanks.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 137
u should be pulling, around 183amps if those were rms value (system only); then plus car approx 30-40a. 200a should be fine, 220 will be ideal! 2ga should push that.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3736
i doubt that wire brands matter that much but don't get the very cheapest cause i seen some wire saying 12G & wire itself is thin like 16G - liar companies .

I think the way u check current draw is to add what your amp pulls + what your car came stock with & u buy an ALt based on that . Whoever is building u 1 should know ........

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5059
Almost all wires are made the same way, OFC. You won't notice much between $150 wire and $50 wire. What is however important is the stand count. The more strands it has, the more current it'll be able to pass.
Don't go overboard with it either. Between 2200 strands and 3500 strands, the price difference could be over $150+. You won't hear any difference except on paper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us