Seamless carpeting of speaker box

enemy1
Unregistered guest
i am trying to find information on how to carpet a speaker box without seams. i am in the process of building one and cannot find much information on how to carpet it. Thanks

mark

Username: Jonnyboy420

Post Number: 1
well, i've only built 2 boxes,but they both turned out good, not REALLY professional looking,but they looked good. just be careful when putting the carpet on,that's about all i can tell you,sorry

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2436
automotive carpet is very forgiving.
it's stretchy and hides seams very well.
Use 3M Super-77 spray adhesive to glue the carpet to the MDF, and use it liberally on both surfaces, allow to tack up, then contact the two surfaces.
instant adhesion.
as for how to cover the box, that's more of an artform.
it's like wrapping a cristmas present.
take your time.
plan it out first.
cover the box, then cut out holes for ports, speakers, terminals, etc from the carpet
use a sharp utility knife, and good scissors.
things like that
go hang out at local shops and ask to watch when they build boxes and cover them. pick up tricks that way.

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 20
Thank you Glasswolf for your comment "as for how to cover the box, that's more of an artform" I agree with glasswolf take your time, carefull planning. Dont try to do everything at once. I have carpeted a few boxes in my projects and i have learned that Tin Snip type sicssors work very well. Also spray adhesive is a good start to carpeting because if you mess up you probably will have time to pull it off. The spray probably wont last long though. I have found (not to be negitive toward glasswolf) that a thick glue works well. I use Mastic (comes in a bucket). Other glues like liquid nail (not in the tube but in the bucket) would work too. You should spread it all over the box (working a side at a time) with a groved type putty knife or troule (exactly how you lay tile floors). This thick glue ensures no un-glued spots and will cover up any holes, dents, uneven corners on the box. Remember box making and car audio is an ART!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us