Did I mess up my 12" W7?

Username: Sacredfire

Post Number: 1
While installing my new W7 I put it upside down on my carpet to make a template of the screw holes.......I intalled it and noticed its jammed... Am I screwed?

Any info is much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 449
do you have any pictures?

Post Number: 4
I could, What do you need a pic of/part?

It doesnt have any visual physical damage.
I could look between the crack and see the copper coils, Near the plugs the copper coating looks like its rubbing against the body.

I try to move it but it's very hard.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 457
did you try putting power to it? I'm not telling you to, but just wondering if you tried

Post Number: 6
Yes,

Just a little from the Sub out on my home surround... I could hear/feel a little vibration......It moved a little while doing it manually....Almost as if it were blown.

If I were to take it to a shop do you think they'll say its trashed?

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 207
your best bet is to hook it up to an amp and see if it works......W7's are not the easiest to move manually.....i thought the same thing when i took mine out of the box to clean my box.....and when i put it back in i thought it was kinda tough to move the cone....but when i put the amp on it in the box it sounded fine... what i don't understand is why you put the sub upside down with the surround it has...i would have just measured it.....or looked at the box cuz it has the trim ring that is the same size as the sub and has the holes drilled for it so you could mark it!

Post Number: 7
Ya I know,

I dont know why either.. :-)

Its really stuck, I mean Frozen.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 327
Wow I can't believe just sitting the sub upside down threw the voice coil off that bad, the spider should've kept it centered in its channel. Take it back where you got it from if it's really frozen up, do you have a warranty?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1356
when u put it down it probably pushed on one side of the cone more than the other causing the VC to go croked and come in contact with the magnet. if it pulls the coils out of line and it rubs agains the magnet it should be harder to move th cone. but usually people report that they can move it, but there is a scratching sound with the movement... your local shop should look at it for free and tell u whats wrong. or atleast their opinion.

Post Number: 9
Yes a scratching sound... I figured with these models with the moveable foam these are somewhat undestructable. I gave up on trying to move it, do you think this can be repaired?

Bronze Member

San DiegoUS

Post Number: 11
**Bump**

Anonymous

I have the same problem.

Anybody know anything here?

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 276
just try what SJC said, hook it up and see if it still makes that noies, so try that and if it still has a problem, show pics of where you think its vibrating from
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us