Does anyone know if there is a way of adding more power to an amp without getting a new one? Amp Booster someone said!

Bronze Member
Username: Bradrgilman

GALvEStoN , Tx Usa

Post Number: 51
does anyone know if there is a way of adding more power to an amp without getting a new one? Somebody told me that they sell Amp Boosters.
My amp is at a 2ohm load and needs to go to a 1 ohm but cant with the dual 2 ohm speakers I have.
Are there ohm converters that could make your subs go down to a 1 ohm or draw the power out of the amp at a 1 ohm if it is wired at a 2 ohm. My amp can not handle .5 ohms, I think. It says only 1 ohm max and I was told that I would fry the amp if I reduced it to a 1/2 or .5 ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Dbtuner

Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada

Post Number: 17
how many subs

are dual voice coils

model amp?

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 220
u need dvc 4 ohm subs to make it a 1 ohm load

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3859
if your amp can take more voltage than 14.4 then you could raise the voltage your amplifier is getting...so amplifiers can take as much as 17 volts and that can make your power jump up amps times volts equals watts minus efficiency losses

Anonymous

is that any amp or special 1s cause i have 1 and i am giving it 11.8 volts,your saying if i give it 16 ill get more power

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 321
what kind of amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3861
when you buy an amp they sometimes state in the tech info what voltage range it can handle and im not talking the preout voltage i mean battery voltage if your getting 11.8 volts at draw your loosing watts

heres an example a 1200 watt rms amp that draws 120 amps of current to give that power if the 14.4 is maintained goes down to 1000 watts rms at 12 volts and 16 volts would do just shy of 1350 but a car is only designed to run at 14 volts so to take advantage of this idea you would need extra batteries and a way to charge them plus you only gain 3 db by doubling your power ex...300 rms to 600 rms so if your goal is more spl its not really worth all the trouble for a daily driver but getting your voltage up where it belongs instead of 11.8 volts would help you in other ways like not killing your alternator and battery and my suggestion would be to buy an upgraded alternator thats sufficient for the amount of power your audio system AND car accesories (headlights etc) requires. A cap is not the way to fix your problem an alternator is.

Bronze Member

GALvEStoN , Tx Usa

Post Number: 56
Okay my amps information is listed below. So could I safely run it at .5 ohm? Also you can see it at these websites below!
VX-2200D Planet Audio amp
Leistung RMS an 4 Ohm: 1 x 800 Watt
Leistung RMS an 2 Ohm: 1 x 1200 Watt
Leistung RMS an 1 Ohm: 1 x 2250 Watt
S/N Ratio: 100 dB
variabler Low Pass
variabler Subsonic Filter
Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB
variabler Phase Shift: 0 - 180°
Subwoofer Pegel-Fernbedienung
Eingangsempfindlichkeit 0,1 - 8 Volt
Line Output
blau beleuchtetes Logo
Frequenzgang: 20 Hz - 250 Hz
Abmessungen: 476 x 270 x 62 mm

* Exclusive Patent-Pending Invisible Mounting System
* Switchable Input Sensitivity 100mV -2V or 2V - 8V
* Tri-Mode Operation
* Built-In Continuously Variable High and Low Pass Crossover
* Phase Adjustment: Continuously Variable From 0 to 180°

http://www.superstereowarehouse.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id =643&zenid=bc344025f67ba33c4edbabb1b0b6aa6a

http://www.dragondistributing.com/planetaudiovortexamps.htm

http://www.audio-equipment.de/product_info.php/products_id/3474?osCsid=80eeb9373 3ea21cf9d56d1afb4109d55

Bronze Member

GALvEStoN , Tx Usa

Post Number: 57
Thanks for the help! Let me know if you think that the amp could handle it at .5ohm. I also have a 1 farad compacitor if that helps!

Anonymous

if u run it at .5 ohm load, a u will destroy your subs or your amp, or b, u will have so much distortion ull hate it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3869
as anon said no you cant run your amp at .5 ohms you will run the risk of blowing the amplifier I have run my 4 ohm bridge amp lower than it was designed to run (in two ohm) for music but I took a risk and got away with it and so did my cousin but I dont suggest taking the chance ....a capacitor helps but is not going to do what an alternator will to solve your problem ...if the cap is hooked up its obvious with less than 12 volts that it didnt cure your problem

Bronze Member

GALvEStoN , Tx Usa

Post Number: 58
Okay! What should I do? Buy another amp and have 2?
Thanks
Brad

Bronze Member

GALvEStoN , Tx Usa

Post Number: 59
Do you know what size a silverado alternator is by amps? Also, what would the better alternator due other then charge my battery better? It would still not allow me to run it at a .5 ohm, right?
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3899
no matter what sdo not hook your amp up in .5 ohm load and im not sure of the size of the alternator in that truk but I would assume its probably on the larger side so getting a hi output one shouldnt be too expensive check out www.4alterstart.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 3900
I just realized you said you have a dual 2 ohm subwoofer....you CAN wire your amp to one ohm heres how

also heres the rockford wiring program I used

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.aspUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3901
thats if you have one if you have two your right you cant

Gold Member

Post Number: 3902
with three dual 2 ohm subs you can do 1.34 ohms with 4 you can do 1 ohm.....if you have 2 speakers now and you go to 4 you will increase your spl by 3 db not including what you would gain by increasing your power by dropping the amp to one ohm but it takes twice the power to get a another 3 db increase
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us