Box volume

Anonymous

Anybody have any calculators or tables that tell what box volume is needed for what size sub

like say a 3" sub would need a .5cuft box and so on

BTW i dont have the ts parameters or the manufacterers name or model no.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 152
3" sub??

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 206
heh heh,i actually have a 4 and 5 1/4 inch sub thing pounds,both r 15w and i didnt say rms..lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
is that like, REALLY a sub.. if its like... 3-6 inches?

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 61
box size isn't going to matter too much.....those are probably just woofers, not subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Actually they are subwoofers,that go down to 20hz which makes them subwoofers!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
http://reviews.cnet.com/Altec_Lansing_AVS300_Multimedia/4507-3179_7-6055503.html ?tag=sub this is 5"

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1335
Anything over 8 Inches is considered a actual subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
are we talking about cars or computers? The only car subs I've seen that small come with factory premium audio systems, and they suck. If you want to put a PC sub in your car, go hard. But don't get to picky about box volume cause it's not going to make much of a difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
so if i make a tweeder go down to 20Hz... that will make it a sub... crasy...

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Definitions of subwoofer on the Web:
A speaker designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies, usually those below about 80 Hz.
www.hometheatermag.com/glossary/

A loudspeaker made specifically to reproduce the lowest of audio frequencies, approximately between 45 Hz and 125 Hz.
www.precisionautosound.net/glossary.html

A speaker designed specifically to reproduce low-frequency information, usually between the range of 20 to 120 Hz. Dolby Digital soundtracks provide a separate low-frequency effects (LFE) channel specifically for playback over subwoofers.

We were talking about subwoofers in general.

Im not gonna argue cause we all have our own definitions whether accurate or not we still believe they are true,Right??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I know a subwoofer is defined by the frequency response. When a guy starts a thread in a car audio forum, asking about box volume for a 3" sub, I have to wonder if this guy is wasting his time building a box for his woofers. You say you have 4 and 5 1/4" subs, I also assume they are woofers. Not that you're talking about computer speakers in a car audio forum. So if you don't want an arguement, don't come at me with frequency responses and exclamation marks. I'm done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
yea im done 2,but we didnt answer the dudes question..lol...we prob scared him.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1341
I was actually stating a fact that i read somewhere but the link is on my labtop that I used to use. It was something about bose audio not able to claim a certain product a subwoofer but rather bass unit because it only contained a 6.5 inch speaker.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1342
Heres what is actually was

"First of all, 5.5-inch drivers are not intended to be used as bass drivers; they are clearly midrange drivers. In fact, Bose doesn't even claim that its "Bass Module" is in fact a subwoofer because they can't! True subwoofers start at 8 inches and taper off at 15 inches in diameter"

Its from here http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 213
thats serious sh!t talk....i dont even understand how they could talk such sh!t and put it online 2.

"5.5-inch drivers are not intended to be used as bass drivers; they are clearly midrange drivers" i could slap the fool who said that

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1344
what man its true

Bronze Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 98
i looked at a $1400 bose home theatre system, and the bass was 3 5 1/4 drivers. LOL

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1345
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/155602.html

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1346
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/155602.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Even if they say the frequency responce of a sub that small goes down to 20 hz, frequencies that low are felt more than they're heard. And with a driver that small, it couldn't move nearly enough air to make any audible difference. My home theatre towers have 6 1/2 inch woofers in them with a min freq response of 30 hz, which is around what most home theatre speakers would be. but listen to them without the sub, then turn on the sub. you'll hear lows with the sub that weren't there without it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
no bassmanmike its not

Subwoofers use drivers (woofer) with cones typically coming in 10" or 12" sizes, but can be as large as 34", and as small as 4".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1349
Ok then i wanna see you pull up at a SPL comp "goin check out my subs" and then you pop the trunk with a crowd of poeple around with your 4 inch "subs" sitting in a box and see what they have to say about it.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1350
And since when do poeple who write encyclopedias know anything about audio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
wait wait wait,we are not limiting the uses of subs to cars alone

I once worked in an arcade and quite a few of the subs were 4" and up and they would pound u could feel them.

and we're not saying that a sub has to be loud to be a sub!?!?

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1352
idk i just always considered anything smaller then a 8 mid-bass

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1353
My dads crappy stock 6x9's can hit frequencies lower then 100 Hz and I dont go around callin them subs you know what I mean.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
yeah i hear ya,the only reason i arued so long is cause all i ever had was small a$s subs and they worked great,but im movin up in the game hopefully i see a couple 18s in my future

Blair_aus
Unregistered guest
I have a seen with a guy (who won the IASCA nationals a couple of years ago for his category) who had 3 12's but had a focal 5" 'subwoofer' in the dash under the head unit to image the bass to the front.

I thought it was pretty innovative. I've always been told that subs and mid bass drivers were of completely different construction, in which case these small subwoofers are just that...subwoofers and designed to be used as so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us