Just bought a type-r and it doesnt sound good at all!

Silver Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 127
i just bought a new (2005) type r from ebay and i hooked it up to an a8000t amp. my sub sounds funny and sounds really distorted, i have my gain set at 4v i think? i put it in the middle so it sould be at 4v. when i turn down the gain i get less distortion but at 4v it just sounds terrible, could my sub be blown?

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 284
is your hu putting out 4v? and you do have it wired correctly and not backwards right? What VC configuration did you get? Also make sure the bass boost or n e thing is turned too high. Finally, what kind of box is it in?

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
ya my hu is 4v. what u mean wired it backwards? bass boost is in the middle and the box is ported

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1113
it is your amp. which typer R did you get. the 2ohm or the 4ohm dvc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
4ohm dvc

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1115
that amp is stable at 4ohms. you cant connect your 4ohm dvc to make a 4ohm load. it can only be either 2ohm or 8ohms. unless you have two of those subs you can't make it 4ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
i no, i never said i had it at 4 ohms. do u guys have any idea what my problem is?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1117
do you have one or two subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
one

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1119
that amp is too much for your sub. you probably have it connected parallel right? if you did that means that sub would give you a 2ohm load. i don't know how much your amp puts out at 2ohm but i do know that amp is 800wrms at 4ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
i was told that its a good setup, should i get a 600wrms amp, would that solve my problem?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1121
i have at the moment 2 type Rs in a sealed enclosure with a kicker kx1200.1 amp. i love the way it sounds. so yes if you get an amp that is 600wrms at 2ohms, then it should sound pretty good.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1122
actually if you can return you sub and get the 2ohm type R and connect it in series, it should sound nice too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
alright thanks for the help, but i hear of people giving their typr-r like 800 watts rms and it runs great
..why is this?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3319
prolly using a overrated amp like Hifonics etc .....

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1125
it is okay to give it 800wrms but your amp is not stable at 2ohms. it is 800wrms at 4ohms. there is no way of connecting your sub to make 4ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
so u guys wouldnt reccomend me using this amp for this sub?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1126
only way i would recomend you using this amp to your sub is if your sub is a 2ohm version.

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 311
chad lee, any idea what you can hit for dB's with your set-up??? 2 12" dual 2 ohm correct??? How do you like that amp??? I was thinking of getting it but i bought a RE 12.1 instead. I have an SX15 in a ported box. My friend has 2 12" type R's 2ohm and a JL 1000/1 amp. LOL we always fight over whos is louder. I just like the fact that i have ONE sub and he has TWO and they are pretty much the same dB level.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1128
actually i got 2 12" 4ohms. i never measured my system or even see someone else get measured so i really don't have any idea. i like my amp. i am changing it to a jl audio 1000/1 though. i am changing it cause i am thinking of getting 2 jl 1000/1 with 2 12" idmax or 2 12" eclipse ti.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1130
mike johnson-my bad. i was looking at the specs from this one site and it said your amp was 800wrms at 4ohms. i saw the specs from another site and it was 400wrms at 4ohms and 800wrms at 2ohms. looks like i made a mistake. sorry dude. it should sound fine the way you have it.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 150
i just got 2 type rs today and damm they sound good in a ported box.ill try to build a vented box to there specs and see how it sounds.but im very impressed with the sq.and they hit hard too,think i need some dynamat lol.

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 144
hell u can give it 1000wrms at 2ohms just dont go dial crazy!?!?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2411
hey TW look into Edead v.3 great stuff

Silver Member

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 154
y chauncey is that what you use.i really need some.to much rattles,btw where did u get it from.

Silver Member

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 155
btw i like that TW

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2415
i was gonna call u T-Dub but whatever, i got it on ebay, i used like 2 gallons for my whole truck, and it works great

Silver Member

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 156
how much did u get it for

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2437
i got 2 gallons for 80 shipped

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 75
Mike Jones, and Mike Johnson... confused me for a sec. Your not saposed to be Mike Jones the rapper are you?

And... I am not sure whats wrong with the set-up. You should be getting 800 RMS to the Type R. Did you say what HU your using, not that it really matters...

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
i got my sub fixed now, my positives and negatives wernt right. and another question, at high volumes my sub sounds funny, like when i put my ear next to the sub, is there a sound a sub makes when ur pushing it to hard?

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 286
Is it ticking or knocking? Does the cone get hot after a few mins of play at high vol.? If so, you're prolly bottoming it out. In essence = Not Good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us