Got my system metered

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 695
my friend bought one of those pos radioshack spl meters, so i borrowed it to test my stereo in my room, http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_MHC-GX45/display_~full_specs thats it, and i hit 121 so ifigure its around 110-113db since im sure the radioshack meter is off by atleast 8db, this was taken playing song not test tones, and i was sitting on my bed which is about 8feet away. my room is 12x14ft so i think thats pretty good since i only got one 8inch sub, and im acutally suprised at how good the sq is for being a sony product.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 258
I heard that system and the Panasonic one (very similar) and the SQ was 100 times better on the Panasonic. They both get resonable loud, but the panasonic sounds much better while doing so. Obviously, it's up to you what you like to listen to. Try some test tones and see what figures that put up.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 698
ya, the sq is ok, nothing great but ok, comparing it to other stereos is kinda hard cause every1 around here either has somthing 100x better or 100x worse, but for listening to it in my room it has enough sq for me. and i wanted to play test tones for the test but my cd burner won't let me burn any off the internet, so i'll have to ask some of my friends and see if they have any test tones on a cd.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 700
ya i went to wal-mart tonight and they had a panasonic stereo setup in the elctronics section along with the sony i have, so i got to try it out and i'll agree the sq is way better on the panasonic but the sony got a lot louder, but the panasonic model only had a 6inch sub so i think thats why the sony was louder.

Anonymous

'so i figure its around 110-113db since im sure the radioshack meter is off by atleast 8db' Why would you say that?you dont know that.Radioshack doesnt even make anything in their store they just print their logo on it.Jacka$s

Bronze Member
Username: Mobster

Post Number: 22
Radioshack?? dude,how much was it? thats tight.(the dB meter.im talking about)

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 1094
hey anonomys...who cares if radio shcak didnt make the meter man...wats ur deal.

would u like for him 2 say radio shack printed lable meter...huh?
Man wats ppl's deals these days

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 706
no sh!t whats every1s deal on this fvcking forum, and the only reason i call it a radioshack meter is cause thats where my friend bought it, so i could care less if some fvcking blind guy made it in china my friend still bought it at radioshack, and im sure it's off by a lot cause radioshack products are junk. anyways i asked some of my friends if they had any test tones on a cd and my one friend does but its only a 30-40hz sweep i don't know would playing that low off hz hurt the sub cause its in a ported box tuned to 44-46hz.

Dustin is g@y
Unregistered guest
radioshack stuff is not junk,ur saying that out of the 1000s of products from different companies all of them are junk.man u should shut the F.u.c.k up whne you dont know what your talking about u stupid a$s!!

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 75
lol i bought one of those to test my cars system but it only goes up to a 126dB.. the meter didn't go high enough.. and btw radioshack sells some of the top brands in electronics

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 711
LOL the ppl on this forum make me laugh by how immature they are, but anyway back to my question would it be ok to play a 30-40hz sweep even though my sub is in a ported box tuned to 45hz.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 712
WTF it didn't bump it

Bronze Member
Username: Sbrizzi

Boone, Nc

Post Number: 23
the sony is alot better than the panasonic

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3782
Its not safe to do a sweep below your port tune because of the lack of control the subwoofer has below port tune

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 713
ya thats what i thought but just wanted to make sure, thanks sean.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 285
Look for and download NCH tone generator, it's freeware and you can make test tones into .wavs of any frequency you want.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 286
I also highly doubt that the radio shack meter is off by 8db, I would say it's a rather accurate piece of equipment, it's limitation is that it can only measure up to 120 some odd dbs.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 716
really, cause to old TL mic is off by 3db and those are used by the db drag racing ppl.

Anonymous

dude,seriously,shut the fu.ck up

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 289
The old TL mics metered 3db lower overall than the newer mics, thats just a change in what's accepted as a said SPL. Also 3db is the threshold of what the human ear can detect so it's not a huge issue for what you would use that spl meter for, 8 however would be.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 290
The mic you're using also isn't for measuring strictly SPL, it's for setting up EQ's with the test tones; you run tones through your system and see which need cut and boosted. For this the mic has to be stable across it's frequency range and the radio shack mic should be fine for that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us