Kinda doesn't have a specific thread, but help!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 740
It's about speakers, but also distortion.

I've found, that my Volfenhag 5x7's have become scratchy, probably due to clipping or just cheap build heh (Using a Kenwood KDC-X589 HU). Not exactly a powerhouse HU or anything, although, most don't exceed 30W RMS anyways. I've read that the Kenwoods are aimed more at SQ anyways, and that an amp will be needed to keep the SQ, but yet still gain the power. Not a problem as I see it. I want good sound, but for me, I need durable, which is able to handle the power I want to put to it. I had settled for Infinity components, but I've seen Infinity car and home speakers before, and they aren't up to par with my durability needs. I have to get 5.25" speakers to be able to fit them in my stock 5x7/6x8 slots using conversion brackets.

I have now decided, after using Cerwin Vega products before, and seen how durable and good they sound for being affordable, that the V-Mag 502's would be a good choice for me in the component speaker world. Would anyone disagree or have anything negative to say about these except for that they won't match the SQ (to a point) of other components? I can also get 4 of them this way, as they are unified components, 2 for front, 2 for back, and run them off a 4 channel amp with enough power to give them their nominal power needs.

Also, I've pretty much gotten the hang picking out when I'm overdriving a speaker in my HOME (2 pairs of cheap speakers later hehe), as I can use listening techniques, touch, and even smell! But in a car situation, the overall sound is completely different, and it's hard for me to pick out distortion, except for when it's amplified to a great level, as I can't constantly be ripping open the door panel to feel if the woofer dust cap is warm, or stick my head at door level while driving to pick up distortion. Any suggestions? I want to get components, but don't want to have to buy new, regardless of how durable I've found CV products to be in the past, I know EVERYTHING has it's limits. Help would be appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us