Dampening materials??HELP!

Anonymous

im in an 01 reg cab work truck and wow the acoustics of it are true and utter crap, and im interested in maybe lining it with dynamat especially the back wall where the box and subs are... im realy interested in if that'll boost the bass in the cab a noticable amount and maybe even quiet it on the outside so its not as bothersome to everyone else(cops) Also one last question, is there any material or spray that i may be able to purchase at a hardware store or something that'll have similar results so i can save money cuz dynamat isnt awfuly cheap, anyways thanks alot for any help

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2355
if ya wanna go all out, gut the interior, and have the whole inside of the truck's metal surfaces sprayed with that rubber bedliner material.

As a cheaper alternative, go to home depot, and buy a 100 sq ft roll of "peel n' seal" which is a roofers material, just like dynamat but for about $70.
Then, remove the truck's door panels, the bench or seats, console, roof liner, etc.. and cover EVERYTHING with at least one layer of that stuff.
As much as three layers if you really want to deaden the truck.
Use expanding spray foam (NOT triple expanding! that stuff will expand to the point it breaks things) to get areas not viable for matting, like nooks and corners where you have vibrations.
This is also the ideal time to run the power and signal lines for amplifiers.

after this, replace all ceiling, door panels, carpet, seats, etc.. so teh truck is all back together.
This is a good solid day of a project for a first timer.. sometimes even for the experienced.

with the windows up, road noise should be noticeably decreased, bass should be a bit louder, but more solid and deeper with more of a dead feel to it which you want.. flatter response.

worth the effort really.
first thing I do with a competition car myself.

Norm Macdonald as Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
You can also use Fatmat, you can find it on Ebay, or Fatmat.com 100 sq ft runs about $100 and its much much better than that roofing material. The roofing material has been know to come unglued easier and you should go with something made for the application you are using it for.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2383
fatmat, brownbread, etc are all good alternatives.
the peel n seal shouldn't unadhere from the metal surfaces since it'll be sandwiched between teh paneling, carpet etc and the car body.
none if this stuff should be exposed when you're done anyway. the whole idea is just to absord metal vibrations and reduce resonation.
you're also lowering the Fs of the vehicle cabin at the same time.

Anonymous

thanks 3 layers of peel and seel it is through the truck will be this weekends project with installing the alpine 9831 when it arrives ..the shivas are due to ship in 2 weeks is what the adire sales rep told me at least theyve got good cumstomer service for an online gig

Anonymous

also theres two brands of that waterproofing peel and seal stuff, stormguard which gives me 200sq ft for 67$ and bituthene 4000 which is 200sq ft for 136$.. which would you choose

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2410
the heaviest stuff you can get.
you want it to absorb vibrations.

Anonymous

alright thanks i'll post how it goes most likely saturday evening or so hopefully the acoustics wont be such a joke, when i had my two mtx 8000 12's my girlfriends corolla with a jl w010 in it sounded more rich with SQ, very frustrating

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2424
one reason I never liked pickup trucks.
lousy for audio systems. difficult to make them quiet, poor soundstage, you're almost sitting on the subs, no room for good amp rack work, not much in the way of passenger room, the handle for crap, and they're just plain ugly.
Good for utility vehicles though for hauling lumber or sheets of plywood.
for audio, gimme an SUV or a hatchback.
that I can do a lot with.

Bronze Member
Username: Illfaded

Post Number: 32
www.secondskinaudio.com order your sound deadening products over there, its the best
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us