Connecting an IPOD -> CAR AMP - what kind of CABLES?

Username: Mike06

Post Number: 1
I went down to the local electronics shop and asked the question "I want to connect my iPod or portable player to my AMP so that i can play it through the car speakers" i explained to them that i dont have any head unit so any FM transmiters, tape deck adapters or AUX's (eg. in a cd/mp3 player) wont work.. so he goes, jus connect this $50 shiney plated gold wire, to the AMP then to the iPod, made by some UBER expensive ipod brand which mearly looked like the average stereo RCA-to-minijack cable.

So i asked him why i should buy the $50 one if i already have a cable like that lying around the house which is probably around $3 (except without the fancy gold).. and he told me that the Ipod, or amp, could BLOW UP! he said the wire somehow works as an adapter to make it "all good" - so im now in very much concern about my equipment.. does anybody know if this EXPLOSION could happen if i dont buy the fancy bling-bling????

p.s: i think the $50 cable is called "Monster Cable Stereo Mini to Dual RCA Cable."
..but im not 100% sure

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 37
Yeah, it's the same wire. RCA-mini plug adapter. The reason you want to get a higer quality one, is becuase you lose a lot of SQ when you change to different types of plugs.

No you car system won't blow up, bugt it is a good idea to get a nice cable. You have to remmeber that you are using MP3's (which is not great sounding anyways) in a car environment, and then you are going directly to an amp, which your Ipod does not make a lot of voltage for the amp to see. So you don't want a bad sound to go to a worst sound.

50 dollars is expensive for that type of cable though, i would look into getting audioquest, MUCH better cables then monster.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 454
the only reason that the Monster cable is better is because it will keep out more noise. try the one that you have at home. nothing will blow-up. just start with your amp gains down.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us