2 OHM OR 4 OHM

Username: Ford123

Post Number: 1
I have 2 mtx 4250d amps and am looking to buy 2 12" subs to run each amp/sub seperate. do i need to get a 4ohm sub or a 2 ohm sub and also do u think 2 alpine type r 12" subs (each sub having 1 4250d amp)is to much for this amp. so when it is all done i will have 2 subs and 2 mono amps (1 each ran seperatly to each sub) will this work or not?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 540
thoes amps are only rated at 125W at 4 ohms, or 250 at 2 ohms. the type R's can take a lot more then that, i think they are 500 rms and 1500 peak, but can't say for sure off the top of my head.
so if you went with thoes subs, you'd definally wanna wire them to present a 2 ohm load.
the type R's are dual 2 or dual 4 voice coils. you would have to go with the dual 4 ohm version so you could wire the VCs in parallel for a 2 ohm load.
that would work, just wouldn't be pushing thoes subs to full potential

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 173
The MTX 4250d's birthsheet is around 372wrms @ 2ohms. IF you really wanted to get the Type R's, then you would have to get the dual 4ohm version so you can run it at 2ohms off your amp. Do that with each amp. The amp's will be underpowering your subs so don't get freaky with the gain control. If you plan on using these subs with this amp, use brains and it should work out ok. It's better to have subs matching your amp's rms rating tho....

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2645
if u want to do 1 sub/mtx amp , then buy 2ohms version & 1 each of this amp

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15170

however if u buy the 4ohms dvc version & buy a single MONO amp like Alpine 1005D (or any good 1000wrms @ 1ohm amp) - it will cost u cheaper .......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2646
If u do however want to get 2 12s to work off those 2 amps then buy 2 of these

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13848

which will be perfect for thoser amps .......

Post Number: 2
so if i get 2 type r 12" subs and 2 MTX TA4501 amps it should slam pretty hard? and also i will have my 4 channel amp running my high, is there going to be a problem with my battery?

Post Number: 3
Thank you guys very much but one more thing just to make sure i got this right... 2 Alpine type R DVC 2OHM subs and 2 MTX TA4501 amps will work out really good? and i will get 500 watts per sub correct? thank you soooooooooooo much you guys were alot of help!!!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2659
MTX TA4501
250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts x 1 at 2 ohms)

a alpine 1242D type R = 500wrms , so yea

but if were me like i said above i'd get a 1000wrms @ 1ohm mono amp to power both 4ohms dvc subs . Would be cheaper by far & pull less current too . Only way to tell if your system will be calling for more current -is to get it all hooked up & then check for voltage drops .

if u want me to list some 1000wrms @ 1ohm mono amps - i can post back some models 4 u ........

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2660
"""""""2 Alpine type R DVC 2OHM subs and 2 MTX TA4501 amps""""""" - NO , i got mixed up above , u need (2) 4ohms dvc subs with those 2 amps

1 4ohms dvc sub by itself = 2ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us