Boat Stereo Installation and Wiring Help.

Username: Rmclemore

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the way my stereo system has been installed in my boat. I have two amps 1) Soundstream Van Gogh 500/4 (Currently wired at 2 ohm producing roughly 1000 watts of power) 2) Soundstream TR800/5 (Currently wired at 4 ohm producing roughly 800 watts of power) Each of these are wired to the Soundstream 2 farad capacitor then on to an Optima Yellow Top Dry cell. The Optima Dry Cell is wired to a 200 amp relay on to the battery (Die Hard) that runs all the accessories and cranks the boat. When the bass line hits, or I turn up the stereo real loud for a little bit the power shoots way down on both batteries. The capacitor doesn't seem to be helping much to supply the power on the bass notes. The capacitor is currently about 12 ft away in the rear of the boat as the amps are installed in the front of the boat. Could this be the problem? Should I move the capacitor right near the amps? Will this solve the problem you think? If not?....

I do have an additional Stinger 1 farad cap that I can use if needed that is not currently wired. Would you suggest wiring the additional Stinger 1 farad cap to the Soundstream TR series amp and keeping the Soundstream 2 farad cap on the Soundstream Van Gogh? If I choose to wire the Stinger cap in with the system, will I need an additional relay for the cap or can I just wire the two caps to the same battery?

Would you suggest adding an additional battery? If I choose to wire an additional battery in with the system, will I need an additional relay for this battery or can I just wire the two batteries to the same relay then on to the battery wired to the boat itself? I have also been told that I should upgrade alternators, but the Marine Audio place that installed all of it said that would not be necessary as my alternator was large enough to support this system.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Roger A. McLemore
Roger.Mclemore@lasalle.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us