Fuses

Bronze Member
Username: Emceetricky

Post Number: 32
How do i figure out what kind of fuse i need for my amp. I am planning on getting an Orion 1200D and i was wondering what specifications i need to choose what fuse i need to get for the wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2538
www.bcae1.com number 14 .......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Im still confused. So if im getting 4 gauge amplifier wire then i need to get 125 amp fuse?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
The orion 1200d fuse rating is 3 X 40 amps. Does this mean the fuse i need is 120 amps? Because that seems like a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 170
you can use an 80amp glass fuse for that amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
alright thanks thats all i wanted to know

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 184
I would go with a 100 amp Maxi Fuse..but thats just me

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 190
After thinking it over an passin this Thread a few times ive decided that you should go with 0 gauge Wire an use a ANL inline fuse holder just because you never know when you might Expand an need more power ( better to get the right wire the first time cuz u never really know ) an for now just get Two ANL fuses One 80 an One 100 an See which works better for your application

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 391
Lukas,

Is the 1200D the only amp you're running? You mentioned 4 GA wire. Are you running 4 GA from the battery to your amp? If so, how long is this run of wire? The length of wire has alot to do with what size wire you should use. The amount of current your amp(s) can draw should factor into what size fuse to use on your power wire at the battery. If your 1200D has three 40A fuses in it, then I would suggest a 150A ANL fuse at the battey as long as this is the only amp you're running. I would also suggest a minimum of 2 GA from the battery to a dist. block or your amp. Just depends on if you have multiple amps with a dist. block or just the 1200D with one power wire. If it's just the 1200D, I would run 2 GA and use a 150A fuse at the battery. If you have another amp(s), you may even need to use 1/0 GA and a dist. block.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 193
If its the only AMP ur running to this Particular Wire dont get a 150 AMP fuse >>>You Dont want to use a fuse that exceeds the total value of the Fuses ur amp has, in ur case 3 40 amp fuses Equals 120..

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 393
It won't hurt to use a 150A fuse at the battery as long as he's using the proper size power wire to handle the current. You certainly don't want to use larger fuses in the amp, but using a larger fuse at the battery isn't a big deal. The blade fuses built into the amp are there to protect the amp. The fuse at the battery is there to protect the power wire.

If the 1200D is the only amp being used, I would run 2 GA to the amp with a 150A ANL fuse at the battery to protect the 2 GA power wire. I wouldn't use 4 GA for that amp if it's a lengthy run of wire. If another amp is being used, I would step up to 1/0 GA to a dist. block and a larger ANL fuse at the battery depending on the size of the 2nd amp.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 207
I never said it would hurt anything ..But in every single Amp manual u will ever read it says dont use a fuse that exceeds the total value of the fuses in the Amp ...I think this is also mentioned on Bcae1.com

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 208
But it isnt like 150 is gonna help him either because he isnt going to be able to move that much power with a Stock alternator

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 209
an if im correct i think he said in another post that he drives somthing like a Honda an i know somthing like a honda civic doesnt have a powerful stock alt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Sweet thanks for the help guys. But now i think i am a little more confused. I dont have the system yet but i just bought the Orion and i will only be running this one amp and i am wondering what type of wire i should be getting and what type of fuse. My car is a toyota camry. I was planning on getting like 4 gauge wire and a 120 amp fuse but now im not quite sure. Is 0 gauge wire hard to find? Also is a 150 amp fuse hard to find? Because i am getting most of my stuff on Ebay and i looked and the max fuse was like 120 and the max wire was like 4 gauge. Also, if i were to get this amp wiring kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5829798953%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26 will i also need to get stereo wire? Thanks again for all the help.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 214
Just go for 0 gauge with a 140 amp ANL fuse an ANL fuse holder

Good DEals on 4 packs of ANL 140 amp fuses

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANL-Four-140-Amp-Fuses-Audiobahn-ANL140-EZ-view-NEW_W0QQitem Z5752637360QQcategoryZ50551QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PACK-100-AMP-140-AMP-200-AMP-ANL-FUSES-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ5 832117400QQcategoryZ50551QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

an there is 0 Gauge wire all over ebay

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 218
its not like the amp is ever going to demand 150 nor would ur alt be able to provide it if it did but James just doesnt want you to restrict the flow of the power...So go with either 2 gauge or 0 gauge wire an a ANL inline fuse holder an get a 4 pack of inline fuses just so u have a few extra laying around

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 219
I meant a 4 pack of ANL fuses

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 220
The link you have posted is to a 4 gauge kit that is 34 bucks, is 34 bucks all you want to spend because even the cheapest 0 gauge kit will cost you 65 dollars after shippin.....Maybe you can get a Cheap 2 gauge kit for around 45 bucks after shippin....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
well is 0 gauge that much different than 2 gauge? Because i dont want to spend a whole lot but if i really need 0 gauge i will get it. but 65 dollars doesnt sound all that bad. i just showed that kit because i was wondering if it was a kit that had everything i needed in it. THanks for the help Cadillac.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
O yeah and i still dont know if i need stereo wire after getting an amplifier wiring kit. Does the kit have all the wiring i need or will i also need to get stereo wiring? And does the gauge of the stereo wire matter?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
What is everything that needs to be in an amplifier wiring kit? Because after looking at the kits they all have different stuff in them and it is a little confusing.

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 224
HMMM .... I was looking on ebay 4 you since you said u plan to buy it all on ebay but all i can find that is 2 Gauge is made by Power acoustik..

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-2-GAUGE-3000w-CAR-AMP-KIT-SPEAKER-WIRE_W0QQit emZ5832207326QQcategoryZ32808QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 446
0 gauge is equal to having a pair of 2 gauge wires. To answer about if it's that different.

Also, I would also recomend going with the 150+ and some 0 gauge.. Reason you want it higher, is like mentioned earlier, incase you upgrade.

And true, your alternator might not be able to provide 150 amps of current.. But say you have a short, your alternator + battery can send quite a bit of load all at once surging to the back.

The reason to even have a fuse at the battery, isnt to help protect your amps against surges, etc.. that's what their own fuses are for (on those with external fuses).. It's because wire can only carry so much current (safely) at it's given size. However, in the case of like grounding a power wire, etc, more current than the wire is capable of handling will go surging through it, and this can literally burn your wire.. I've seen things catch on fire, trust me, it's not too pretty.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 398
I would also look at Knu Konceptz for your wiring needs.

I think you'll definitely want to upgrade your system in the future, since you're running a pretty powerful amp on bass and you're skipping a speaker upgrade. A speaker upgrade and another amp for those speakers is something you'll probably want soon. I've tried systems with bass upgrades and factory speakers, and heard many others, and they just don't sound right.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2785
www.onlinecarstereo.com is having xmas season sale & all items get free s/h - so u might want to look for a kit there ...

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 226
Two 4 gauge wires are Equal to 1 gauge....an Lots of people have been biitchen about Knu Konceptz RCA Cables but they also Biiitch about lots of other common brands RCA Cables an Knu Konceptz does back there stuff all the way so if u do have a problem with the RCA's they will send new ones ASAP

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 227
I dont know why i said the TWO four gauges are equal to 1 gauge, i could have sworn that i read some where that some one said two 4 where equal to 0 gauge, maybe it was a different post ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Wait, James G, what are you talking about skipping a speaker upgrade?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us