Ported box experts what did i do wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 747
hey i just built a ported box for my buddy for 2 type r's it was tuned to 36 hz and around 2 cu ft per sub.. its in an explorer the subs are facing the rear and the ports are comming out the rear towards the front of the suv... just with my ears i didnt notice a huge difference between this new box and the sealed box he had before.. there are some things i would have done differently but he throws stuff on his box all the time so we made the front fairly tight to the back trunk and the ports are pretty much up against the seats unless he has them down.. putting the ports facing up would have been out of the question as with the subs .. i figured ports out the side wouldnt be much better so i didnt put them there.. so is this why there wasnt much gain or what?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 1003
you really arent supposed 2 notice much of a distance...correct me if im wrong fellas but dont gpoing ported only make it like 3dB louder? Try aming ur box different ways, ask marshall, it works

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 753
typically 3 db per sub.. depending on tune and box size of course.. thats a 6 db increase though so it should be noticeable.. i mean it is louder but not "that" louder

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1231
you should notice the difference. however the ports up against the seats is most likely ur problem. you should have a good 3-6 inches space. when i take my box and put it against the seat ( but sub facing back so its furthers from back door) its the loudest. the closer i get to the back door the quieter it seems. the more room the better IMO

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 758
funny thing is when we flipped the seats up against the ports it seemed louder.... confusing

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 250
my two 10's in a sealed box didnt really do much but when i put them in a slot ported box it was about 2 times louder the ports face the same way the subs do thats how i build all my slot ported boxes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us