Just to set things straight..........

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 106
if i want to hook up 2 subs to a mono amp then they have to be 4ohm in order for me to wire them down to 1ohm, and they would have to be 2ohms for me to wire them at 2ohm from the amp... so i cant wire 2 subs that are dual 4ohm to 2ohms... and i can't wire 2 dual 2ohm subs to one ohm right? i never thought about ohms when pickin out subs until i read this so i just want to make sure im not confused about it thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 38
not exactly

if you want to wire the subs 1 ohm...the subs need to be 2 ohms each or dual 4 ohm each....if you wnated them wired at 2 ohms..the subs would have to be 4 ohms each..or dual 2 ohms each...u cannot wire 2 dual 4 ohm subs to 2 ohms....

you figure it out like this...whenever you have two speakrs with an ohm load for each...you either dubble the ohms...or cut one in half....

ex. you have two 4 ohm speakers...you can wire it to eight or you can wire it to 2...you take the ohms from one speaker..and double it for cut it in half, then you wire it series or paralel depending on if you want the ohms cut in half or doubled.

just to let you know jl audio amps play the same amount of output no matter how many ohms as long as its in between 1.5 and 4..(very very good technology)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2526
just use this guide

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
ok so 2 dual 4ohm subs can be wired to a 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load.... and 2 dual 2ohm subs can be wired to a 2 ohm load? so if im getting the orion 1200d which is 1 ohm stable i should get the 4 ohm type r subs not the 2 ohm correct? and i have no idea what the parallel and series thing is...can anyone help me out?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1517
Parallel= + to + and - to -
Series= + to - and + to -

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
just search for a diagram of parallel and series wiring...or go here everythign you need to know is here..

http://www.bcae1.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
ok i get it now but how does it affect how it plays? like if its parallel instead of series does that make the difference between what ohm load it is at? or for example cause you have an amp at a 2ohm load and wired parallel or series? or would that change the ohm load?

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
i read that page over good but what would be better to hook up 2 subs to a mono amp... what i got from it is that running them in series would be better am i right or not?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2545
there's no major audible difference on how your subs are configured .

they make different config so different subs can run off diff amps .........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
one way (series or paralel) doubles the ohms..one way cuts it in half..sound quality does not change,..amount of power does...get a jl audio amp..they put out same amount for 1.5ohms to 4 ohms and everywher between

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
The essence of series wiring is really quite simple: When speakers are connected in this fashion, load impedance increases -- the more speakers, the higher the impedance.

Parallel wiring has the opposite effect of series wiring -- load impedance drops when speakers are wired in this fashion. And the more speakers you wire in, the lower the impedance. The most common reason for wanting to lower impedance is to raise acoustical output. Speaker output increases because the amplifier's power output rises as the load impedance decreases.

The number of speakers that can be connected in parallel is limited by the minimum load impedance that the amplifier is capable of driving and the power-handling capacity of the speakers. In most cases, load impedance should be held to a minimum of 2 ohms -- provided the amplifier can handle impedances that low.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 201
also remember that it is the speakers that present the load, not the amp. The amp puts out the amount of power that the sub's load allows. If the amp puts out 100w at 4 ohm and 200w at 2 ohm, the load that the subs present will determine how much power they recieve. A final 2 ohm load from the subs will give them 200w. A final 4 ohm load will give them 100w

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 389
Joe,

If you get the Orion 1200D, then yes, you need the DVC 4 ohm subs. Wire them in parallel and your 1200D will run at 1 ohm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
wow this can get more confusing than i thought but thanks, is that a good set up... the orion and the type r's? or do you think it will over heat at 1ohm after a while... i drive like 2 hours at a time everyweekend and my audiobahn would always shut off half way through the trip and i dont want to go through that with a new amp and subs...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us