Concerning Power Ratings

Bronze Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 67
Ok I have a really good question for all of you audiophiles. How do you know if an amp is overrated? They advertise a tremendous amount of power like 2000w RMS and the amp only cost like $249.00. WTF? I mean isnt it called false advertising? Isnt that illegal? I mean unless they rate there amp at 17 volts. An example of this is Boss Audio. The PD-3000 claims 2000w RMS at 1/2 and 1 ohm. I called their tech support and they said that is at 13.5 volts. I laugh and feel dumb at the same time because I bought one PD-3000 and I have it pushing two Kicker L5 15s @ 1 ohm. Thats a total of 1500w RMS. So in reality the L5s would be over powered by 500w RMS for the pair, but instead, when I turn the volume really loud it sounds really bad, but at lower volumes it sounds nice and clean. It doesnt even come close to sounding as loud as my friend's two Memphis M Class 15s powered by a Memphis 1500d. So WTF is going on? Kicker Squares are supposed to be known to hit harder. I have no idea what is going on. I believe it is my amp. So I am going to buy a Precision Power DCX 1500.1. I think it is my best bet to buy it and get rid of the Boss Amp.

~Someone tell me what they think~

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 614
The Kicker square subs are going to sound horrible when they get loud.
I'm pretty sure the reason companies get away with that is because they don't disclose how they got the numbers they came up with. Having methods that aren't standard methods and allows them to easily inflate their numbers.
Generally you can tell you have a good product if it's a reputable company, and a lot of times, you can go by "You get what you pay for".
Also, what enclosures are your subs, and his subs in?

Bronze Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 68
Both of the kickers and the memphis subs are in sealed boxes..

i know it is the boss amp. boss really doesnt have a good rep

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 152
I wouldnt trust any Boss Amps, if you look at the Chaos Series Boss amps Manual you will find that they all have little Stickers over the power ratings that were Originally put in the manual an those are the only manuals that i have ever seen this in, its like the decided that the manual had too big of a lie so they had to make a different lie but it was too costly to make new manuals so they just made little stickers with new power ratings an put them over the old power ratings

Bronze Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 75
lmao man thats hilarious
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us