MDF or Fibreglass For SQ?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 744
im building cylindrical boxes for my x's and was wondering of i could fibreglass the most part of it .. saves me from cutting 40 rings of mdf to make the cylinders.. what is the sound camparison between the 2?.. or if anyones got a better idea im all ears

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 745
bump.. wanna get started on this

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3712
Well having been around my buddy when he was making his fiberglass sub enclosure I liked the fact that you could use a fabric material stretched across the shape to have a base to apply your fiberglass resin to so yeah heres what I invision for you mark ....make three rings one for the top one for the middle and one for the bottom and apply your fabric over the rings to complete the shape and then apply the resin on the outside ...then on the inside if you can to create a thick wall and a sturdy enclosure...just a thought let me know what you think

Gold Member

Post Number: 3713
ps...but your 40 ring idea would be the most beneficial in STRENGTH and COST factor so Id lean more toward that if all I wanted was a cylindrical enclosure This would make for a great spl enclosure id think also ...I mean realize fiberglass is alot of work and time also

Gold Member

Post Number: 3714
I considered this ring approach like you a while back for subwoofers when i realized it was hard to find pvc tubing in sizes of 6 inch or larger and it was also expensive to buy

Gold Member

Post Number: 3716
i just realized the ring approach would be a great idea for a cheap flared port idea I had

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 746
yeh well thats what i head in mind with the fibreglass.. 2 rings up top for double baffle and one bottom connected with dowels.. my dad is a plumber accually and has huge plastic pipes in the garage herei coudl use that but still my concern is sq.. is mdf the best for sound quality? that is true about the fibreglass taking time as well though i mean by thew time i finish dicking around with resin and about 7 layers i could probably have all the rings cut.. its gonna take 3 sheets of mdf though :\.. the reason for these is to put into the corners of my car and then fibreglass the boxes into the side panels.. they will be sealed 1 for space and 2 because the x's preffer a sealed enclosure.. im sure it will get loud enough but spl is not the thing in mind .. ive got the 15 for that :-).. friggin killin my ears with only 500 watts going to it.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1233
i would only even think about doing the ring idea if your using a ... man my mind is so blank right now.. not a jigsaw lol. the thing that cuts perfect circles. as for the fberglass. if you can work with fiberglass, make it really thick and it will be extremely sturdy which is good for SQ. and if u wanted to add a lil more sturdyness, put like 2 rings in the front for the baffle. and then a ring like every 5-6 inches.

ive never thought bout cutting out 40 rings lol. that wold get sooooo boring lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3725
I never realized it would take three sheets of mdf definately that would be a costly way to do things trevors idea sounds like a decent plan but fiberglassing as I said before isnt cheap but definately i noticed it is lighter than mdf

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 755
to late already bought the mdf lol.. all in all itl prolly take a litle more time and cost a litl more but it will be a cleaner box in the end.. and i am using a jigsaw :p.. ive got the sheets cut into strips so im gonna clamp them together and cut 2 at a time should save a bit of time.. gonna have to bust out the sharp blades.. anyway let u guys know how it goes .. might post some pics of the 40 rings lol

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 253
LMAO.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 523
MDF is better than fiberglass because it is denser, thus you get more sound out of the woofer instead of the enclosure.

Fiberglass is great for odd shapes such as kik pods, or spare tire enclosures, but it lacks in quality because it resonates.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3727
Great mark in all honesty factor to factor considered in each idea if you want a rock solid box and comparable cost that is gonna make for one NON flexing SHERMAN TANK of a enclosure you got it with your idea. Now if you ever wanted to make it sealed ported interchangable you could and you could do a custom flared port design (small to larger progression) with the mdf ring approach but you would have to make sure the sealed plate adaptor you would make would stand up to the pressures so you have no flexing or leaking

Please do take pics lol

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 764
i was accually thinking about the interchangable port.. have to figure out a way for it to work with the way im mounting them.. id probably use 6" pvc for the port if i did.. il probably just keep it sealed

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 290
don't you still have to have a wood base underneath all of the fiberglass. b/c when i've seen people making a fiberglass enclosure they still use wood for the base and then add the fiberglass on top to make whatever shape they want.i was just curious i've never really looked into fiberglass or talked to anybody about it.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 765
well it depends really there is so much u can do with fibreglass it all depends on where the sub is going and how you go about doing it.. sometimes the only wood you use is a ring to mount the sub.. this is for curved surfaces where u cant use wood as a base
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us