Sealed Box Questions

Username: 225

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 3
So I've got an Alpine Type R 12" and i decided that i am going to make my own sealed box.
It says recommended volume is .85 so i am going to go with that but then there were two other columns in the spec sheet that said:

recommended:
F3 49hz
Qtc .719

What the hell are F3 and Qtc?
and do i need to take those into consideration when i build my box?

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 974
dont worry bout it...if i was u id build a 1CuFt box sealed

Username: Nickboarder27

IE

Post Number: 1
F3 -> cutoff frequency

Qtc ~ a measure of how well the magnet exerts control over the cone

Bronze Member

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 11
why would it be better to make one with 1 CuFt?

does anyoone know?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1541
Qtc refers to the relationship between the box and the subsequent amount of dampening it will provide the rear area of the cone. As the box size increases, dampening (control) decreases, because of the increased air space (volume).
Higher Qtc values increase the dampening effect and decrease volume.
Generally values between 0.4 and 1.2 should give adequate results.
.7= flat response.

Bronze Member
Username: Rowlandbrown

Post Number: 26
It wouldn't be better to make one with 1CuFt. Make one of the correct volume (that recommended by the manufacturers) or the sound will not be as good as it could be. It will sound "flat" if the box is too big.

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
You might take into consideration the displacement by the speaker. The box might be made .85 but after you put the speaker in it will drop. The spec sheet should show the displacement of the speaker so just add that to your original .85.

Bronze Member

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 12
oh yeah i never even thought about how the speaker would be taking up some of the internal volume. WEll i am making my box with a 1CuFt internal volume(which is the recommended maximum for the internal volume for a sealed box so it should be okay) b/c that was the only way i could make the box big enough to fit the speaker in with some room to spare. anyways when the i do put the speaker in then the volume should drop to about .90-.95 which will be still be within the recommened range for the interman volume. so it all works out.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 194
it will drop to about .89-.85 after speaker displacement

Bronze Member

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 14
but i did use one of those online calculator things that they have on the net, so do you think that it took that into considerationg when it gave me my internal volume? probably not right?

another question. i am trying to finish up my box before my sub comes,i have the diameter i need to make the speaker hole and all that, but do you think it would be safer to wait and get the template and all the specs to double check?

i did already call Alpine to make sure my specs were right, so i guess it doesnt matter unless there is something that i do now know about?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us