General sound system

Bronze Member
Username: Emceetricky

Post Number: 22
I am new to sound systems and i was wondering what i need for a starter system. Is it subs, box, amp, and wiring? What else is there that is needed for a starter system? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2437
Great beginners read

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-ymhkeYjMfQy/learningcenter/car/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
well if i have the subs, the box, the amp, the head unit and the wires will my system work in my car?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
and what does a capacitor do? Will i need it for my system?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2439
list model numbers of everything u already have & what u have in mine .......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2440
also read www.the12volt.com & www.bcae1.com ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I have 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3s and im planning on getting an orion 1200D or a MTX 81000d amp.

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 186
no offense superfly but u really expect someone to sit n read bcae1? u cant just sit n read that site it eventually fries ur brain n u sit there reading not takin in any thing improtant really it better if u go to it as u find something u dont know about

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1423
if u want to learn u will

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2469
thats why i posted the 1st crutchfield link as a good easy to read general guide but when some1 asks about caps & electrical system , then bcae1 is way more qualified than anybody here to give details on it - Upload ........

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 188
lol yea i dont understand alot on that site so that y im getting help when i get my system

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 445
those sites are very informative.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1529
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=127
www.wickedcases.com

other basic values

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Well can anyone just tell me if this system will work... subs, box, amp, head unit, and wires. This is all i think i need but there might be something else that i dont know about or that i am forgetting.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 129
You are going to Need A Capacitor an Tweeters an it just so happens that i have both an i have them at a Very Very Generous Price LOL, only kiddin, No you shouldnt need anything else ..But do learn stuff about Car audio because you dont want to have to pay some one at a shop to look at ur stuff every time even the tiniest problem arises

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 130
So i assume you plan to wire both the subs together to get a 1 ohm load an then Run that Orion to um huh ? the Subs are 300rms each an you would be putting 1200rms to them with that Orion so that gives you 600 rms Headroom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
So do i need a capacitor? Cuz i heard from someone that i do and then another person told me that i dont.
I do plan to wire both the subs together to get a 1 ohm load and then run that with the Orion. The subs are actually 500wrms so that would be a total of 1000wrms and the Orion will be powering 1200wrms at 1 ohm so i think im safe. Do you think that extra 200 watts is bad?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Oh and is it really hard to install this stuff because im new to this and i dont want to screw it up. Do you think it wuold be better to have someone at like bestbuy install it? I have an idea on how to install it but it all looks kind of confusing.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 758
No capacitor is needed. There might be a chance you need a High Output alternator though... The Orion is underrated and probably putting out 1350rms or so. Those subs should handle it just fine though. Just keep the gains reasonable, don't try to crank everything up as much as possible.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2477
been reported by ppl posting on this forum that the "installers" @ bestbuy are young ppl who are inexperienced ,not really trained & they learn as they go by .

Do some reasearch , be brave & DIY ...

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 133
THe 12 inch RF P3's are not 500 rms they are 300rms

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 134
Hold up <<< My BAD, im wrong

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 136
I should have checked before i said that..i dont know why i thought they were 300 but i havnt slept in like 48 hours so that might be the problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
lol its all good. I think all of my questions have been answered except for
1.Why would i need an alternator and how much are they?
2. So i shouldnt get it installed at bestbuy? Even if they do screw it up there is a warrenty on it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
o and whats the best kind of wiring kit i shuold get? Does the gauge of the wire matter?

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 137
http://www.bcae1.com/

Read Number 16 for all your wire Questions

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 138
you probably will need a High Output Alternator an Prices are all Different based on the Make An Model of your Car an How much Amps you want the alt to produce like 180 amp alt 200 amp alt 250 amp alt an so on an so forth

Link to a Good HO ALt Seller

http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 139
The Reason you would need an HO ALT is because the More Power your amp is Rated for the More RAW Amps it Needs from your alternator to be able to Create that power

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 140
That is a Basic Explanation of alts if you want to know more read 42 an you also asked about Capacitors earlier an if you want to know more about those read 46

http://www.bcae1.com/

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 141
A link to a Good Read about Batterys Capacitors An alternators ...I can tell you for certain that your cars battery will be dead after runnin your system for between 30 minutes to an hour without the engine running an even if it is running a Alt produces a Smaller amount of Power In idle so your car still could be dead the next time you go out to turn it on because your amp is demanding more power then you alternator is producing an the only other thing it can take that power from is the battery an once the battery runs out ur car is dead

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 142
I See that they have already given you one of those Links in the past, you really should read what they tell you to read rather then just ask them to tell you everything because its as the Saying Goes "you Can Give a Man a Fish an he will eat for the day but you can teach a man to Fish an he will eat for a Life time" No offense just read the stuff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Lol none taken. But thanks that was very helpful and thanks for the links also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us