Particle board vs. mdf

Bronze Member
Username: Twh1227

Post Number: 19
i have 2 infinity perfects 12s with a 600 watt rms fosgate amp.they sound like crap, the box is recomended size sealed,but its made out of 5/8 in. particle board would 1 in mdf make a huge difference in sound quality?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2166
5/8" or 3/4" MDF, and try going to a ported box at about 2cu ft per sub

Bunghole
Unregistered guest
what does MDF stand for anyway?

Anonymous

medium density fiberboard

Pat L
Unregistered guest
Yes, The fiber board would make a little differance. Particle Board is crap because its cheap and no matter how fast your saw blade is the particle board still chips. It also doesnt make good for nails and screws, even if you pre-drill. The fiberboard would help in a much more solid construction. I like to wander around the lumber yard till i find just the wood that is right. Because box building and car audio is an ART!

Cheap sob!!!
Unregistered guest
What about plywood would that be pretty good too?

Pat L
Unregistered guest
If your talking the type of plywood that they use to build houses than no way! Stay far away from that. That kind of plywood doesnt sand very well at all, its hard to work with and it usually comes thinner than 5/8". It cuts bad too especally when using a handheld circular saw to make rough cuts (it chips and cracks all over no matter how fast the saw blade). When picking out wood get some quality stuff. Make sure it has a tight grain or weave (like fiberboard). Make sure that when you run your fingers or hand down the wood it is smooth- like counter tops. The house building plywood (construction kind w/ usually an orange stripe) is cheap for a reason because it gets hidden, but when box building it needs to be quality custom stuff! Not only so it looks good but so it sounds good too. Remember Box building and car audio is an art- loud bone shaking music is just the benifit!

Cheap sob!!!
Unregistered guest
well i'm talkin like 1 inch plywood...i made a cobble job box quick and i was just wondering about sound quality

Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 10
Well the only way to test sound quality is listen to it yourself, if it sound good to you than job well done. 1 inch plywood is very thick. It sound like it could be good.

MyPly-woodCutsStrait
Unregistered guest
Carvin has been using a 7-ply poplar plywood for their touring sound series PA speakers for years now, and for PA speakers they sound amazing.

In fact, Carvin chose to use Plywood over Other options because of its resonant qualities.

Then again they are paying a higher price for that wood...

don't worry about how smooth the wood is when you first get it, you can sand it down later,

The most expensive hand made guitars in the world start out as rough pieces of wood. Besides, you're going to cover it up later right? so the actuall surface texture of the wood isn't as important, unless you plan on a natural finnish, which could be cool, maybe...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us