Materials need to make a subwoofer box?

Bronze Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 49
I'm planning on make a box since I hear it was inexpensive to make. I wanna make a box for my 2 15 Type R's. Just experiment and have fun. Well, First of all I just need to know what materials to use and how to put it together. If anyone knows a link that directs me to how to make a box that would also be fine. Thanks.

Ps. I plan on making a ported box. Also a audio shop told me, you need more power if you go ported as in amps. But then I sometimes hear you would need less. So can anyone answer that question also. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 995
Theres not many links that will just COME RIGHT OUT AND TELL YOU... www.the12volt.com and www.bcae1.com
those sites will tell you alot of helpful things to make boxes...check it.

If you still cant figure it out email me dan_da_man_blhs64@hotmail.com

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 167
read the manuals that came with your subs they usually give plenty of tips. Get Win ISD (look it up on google) if you need help designing the box. As a rule of thumb use 3/4 mdf, wood glue, and screws in your construction. If you can find 1in MDF use it. (note mdf is Medium Density Fiberboard)

Bronze Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 63
is it also called particle board

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1582
no...dont use particle board.

use MDF

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1224
mikechec09 or w/e his username is has a cardomain thing that has a link on all the supplies you wil need and how to make it also. you'll see his cardomain URL under his username somewhere. and i think the link is called "building an enclosure" theres a big list of links to the right of his page...

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 53
I got this information from a site because the manual didnt provide recommended box for a port.

Type R 15
Kevlar reinforced pulp cone
1-1/4" Santoprene rubber surround
frequency response 22-1,000 Hz
power range 200-500 watts RMS
peak power handling 1,500 watts
sensitivity 89 dB
4-ohm impedance
top-mount depth 8-3/4"
sealed box volume: 1.3-2.5 cubic feet
ported box volume: 1.5-3.0 cubic feet

I have a Hifonics BX1500 powering both.

Can someone tell me the difference between making a ported box volume from 1.5 to 3.0 cubic feet?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 749
bigger the box the better it will hit the lower frequencies but the power handling and dampening (control)of the sub goes down as the box gets bigger.. appears to be the old type r.. i have a box plan ... but sub will only take around 600-700 watts and then will start to bottom out.. was friggin loud though.. yours wil get about 650 each so it would work .. lemme know il dig it up if u want..

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 750
btw the box is 3.4 cu ft tuned to 36 hz if i remember right.. it is for 1 sub though :\ so you would have to change the dimensions most likely

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 54
Well thats okay, Ill make two separate boxes if necessary. I plan on getting another amp the same kind and powering each sub with a amp of its own. The Hifonics bx1500. This should give it more than 650 each. Is that okay?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 757
its unecisarry to get another amp.. this one is more than enough to power them.. i think lol what is the voice coil config of your subs?

Bronze Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 55
its dual 4 ohm. I bridged them and wired them to 1ohm for max power of course =).

I was also thinking about getting another amp and two more subs of the same kind.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 763
yeh then that amp is fine for 2.. get the box done first before you buy more stuff .. i thought 1 was loud so im sure 2 will be deafaning .. 4 would be rediculous
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us