HELP! FUEL CONSUMPTION

Bronze Member
Username: Mtxaudiouser

Post Number: 45
sorry this is not about systems, but i have a question some of you might know about. i have a 99 vw beetle which should get about 30 mi/gal but its getting about 10 or less. i have checked almost everything. i had the catalytic converter replaced, fuel filter is clean, tire pressure, fuel injectors, not leaking gas, car runs fine,brand new radiator... what else could be using all of my gas?? im thinking maybe my system is making my alternator work hard but its only 150 watts rms on my amp... any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 478
my accord did that and it was the EGR ports, they needed to be redrilled and cleaned.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 731
how would your sound system have an affect on your gas mileage?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
i dont know but almost everything has been checked

rtd2
Unregistered guest
Is it flooding? Have you replaced your oxygen sensors?

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 140
I would either say it's the oxygen sensors or the EGR valve

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4199
or a heavy foot!

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 264
it could be that your alternator is always on and its putting alot of strain on your engine. 2.o's are small to begin with, or the 1.8t, not sure which model you have, but there small engines and the alternator does put alot of strain on the engine when its on.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 635
LOL i never knew that you could turn your alternator off.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 733
haha, i second that dustin. engine is not strained by an alternator. learn something about cars buddy. i doubt fuel consumption has anything to do with your sound system. strain on the electrical system kills the battery, not the mpg. why dont you ask a mechanic for help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
they could not find anything wrong and i dont have a lead foot and my gas milage still blows

Username: Stefangoalie

Lakeville, Minnesota

Post Number: 4
Well, I can't see an alternator causing poor mileage, but just so you know guys, the alternator isnt always working at the same rate, it has a voltage regulator which dictates how much output the alternator gives. But that has nothing to do with it.
For a 99 VW to be getting 10 MPG, it is obviously getting way too much fuel. Have you had everything checked professionally or just on your own? Hook it up to a diagnostic computer and make sure your mixture isnt too rich. Does the car seem to have alot less power than it used to? Oh, BTW, I'd get a new mechanic if they cant track down a 20mpg loss, haha.

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 222
LoL. It's probably just the gas Price$...

Unregistered guest
try to drive ur car in top gears.do push the gear limit.try to drive 80 km/h max to 100km/h.if u r runing carborator car not an EFI the limit the air by closing half the mouth of air filter, set mixture(fuel and air) accordingly.this is how it work in pakistan.im running NIssan 1600cc it give best milage and cost round 2 rupee per kilometer

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 29
Lol, don't think a carb was an option on a 99 beetle. But maybe he's just shifting backwards........ you start the car in 1ST NOT 5TH!!!! Geeze.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
its an auto

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1221
Actually, an alternator can draw up to 7HP when charging... Just a thought.

And yea, O2 sensors, MAF sensor, and EGR valve and solenoid are all common problems. But does it blow black smoke out, and does it run sluggish?

And depending on mileage/drive habbits/servicing you could actually be getting blow-by past the rings. Pull the stick out and smell the oil. But if it's the rings (very slim it would be) you'd also burn oil...

There's a million things it could be. Miss-alignment is another. Along with dragging brakes. And if it's the 1.8T, it's a very slim possibility that your turbo has taken a dump on you or your waste gate isn't closing properly.

I'll stop....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
does not blow black smoke, runs great and not a turbo

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1223
Lol. Have they hooked it up to a scanner? Maybe hook it up to a scope. You'll need someone that knows what to look for. It'll show you what the cylinders are doing...

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2647
well. if i ever have anything wrong with my car i know who i'm gonna ask. lol ^^^^^^^^:-)

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 267
the alternator is probably constantly on charging your battery, which is like having alot of weight in your car. Disconnect your amps or just pull the fuse at the battery and drive around and see if it helps. I will be willing to bet it does.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1393
Or it could be you just have a shitty car and are expecting way to much out of a VW?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us