Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4186
that it will work well in a sealed enclosure

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1465
very basically,
Qts is the total quality of the system. it refers to the control of the sub.
Qms is the mechanincal control. this deals with the physical suspension of the driver-the spider and surround.
Qes reffers to the electrical control. a result of the motor structure-how the forces of the vc and magnet interract.
Qts is a product of Qes and Qms, divided by the sum of Qes and Qms.

Anonymous

so what number is high enough to say it would sound better in a sealed box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1466
generally, Qts of:

.4 to .7= works well sealed
<.4= works well vented
>.7= works well in IB

Gold Member

Post Number: 1467
<.45= works well in AP

Anonymous

but one of my subs in a vented box tuned to 34 hz was at least twice as loud then when it was in a sealed box. it takes 1000 rms but im only giving it 800. but its working the opposite then it should, its reaching its peak excursion quiker in the sealed then the vented, do you think i need to put the full 1000 rms to really see which suits this sub the best

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 344
mikechec9, thx for that info. the spec sheet that came with my type Rs say .47. so that means it will be better in sealed right? cause i just went from slot port box to sealed and it sounds a lot better.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1232
Hey Chad have u read

http://www.the12volt.com/default.asp?

http://www.bcae1.com/

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 346
yeah i did read some parts. i know i should read the whole thing but sometimes i am just lazy. i do have those two sites bookmarked though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1471
again, this is generally speaking. my brahmas have a Qts of .45 and will work well sealed or ported. it's just different factors that need to be played with when taking ported enclosures into consideration for sq purposes. it can be quite touchy vs sealing it and calling it a day.

Anon, it could be a number of factors, from a poorly designed enclosure, to the subs your using, or the relationship between the two. you didn't list the specifics of your system, but i believe mixineffect does well with plotting driver performance. he's (very generously) run programs on the site for a number of people.

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 235
lol omg if its true im gonna crap my pants, my old lanzars had a qts of .4316 and they took 1000 rms, lol, ok if your wondering which has better sq and spl over all, go with a ported box preferably 2 cu ft tuned to 30 hz, that was my last setup and it was the loudest and clearest. i had two separate boxes instead of one big box, but it sounds like your underpowing them, i had a vibe1800d to each one of my lanzars and it pushed them pretty good. every body made fun of me when i talked about my old lanzars when i first found this site, but now im a RE audio fan for life!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 217
how come the avas have Qts of .305 but they're reccomended to be sealed... just wonderin.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 210
Because Qts isn't the total story when it comes to deciding if a sub is best sealed or ported. I feel it is better to use the Fs/Qes method. If you end up with a number of 50ish or below better sealed, closer to 80ish better ported. Then again nothing stopping you but any type of speaker in anybox wether it will give you what you want is another question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us