Box for Type-R's in an MDX

Bronze Member
Username: Thebigdon

Post Number: 20
Lookin for a box for two Type-R's in an Acura MDX. Should I go sealed or ported? I don't know which would sound better and get loud. I need a pre-fab box since I don't have the time or skills to make the enclosure. What should the box be tuned to? How much air space per sub should I have? Anybody please...

I found this. Would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-PORTED-3-4-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-SUBWOOFER-BOX_W0QQitemZ 5826653238QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 285
if you are going to buy that box don't. get a nice sealed enclosure for your Rs. thats the same box i had until i changed it to sealed. it sounds much better in a sealed box. if you must have a slot ported box, then just build one yourself according to alpine specs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
*cough* *cough* help *cough*

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
thanks chad, anyone else know where to get a better box. whats the best place to get a box from?

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 286
read the specs that came with your subs. then you can try to match the specs that alpine recommends for enclosures. after that just check ebay and try to match an enclosure closes to the specs recommended by alpine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I tried reading through the specs on Alpine's site. I've never built a box before. If somebody knows the specs I would need the box built to, could I get those. I'm sure somebody on here has built a box for Type-R's. Thanks alot. Also, is there any site to go to so I could buy a quality box cheap?

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 373
I thought that trype r's sound better in a ported box built to specs. Iv heard one in a sealed and it did not impress me.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 374
I thought that trype r's sound better in a ported box built to specs. Iv heard one in a sealed and it did not impress me.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 291
Upload
i got rid of that box and got a sealed and sounds alot better than it did in there. now if he builds a ported box to specs thats a different story. i haven't tried that so i couldn't say. thats something i want to try on my spare time.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2258
post some pics of that new box will ya ..........

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 292
its just a q-logic enclosure. it has a port on top but also comes with a plug. so i sealed it.

Username: Kleinc

Post Number: 5
Do not buy an enclosure, build one. It doesnt take very long to do, and i find it to be rather fun. You get the satisfaction of using something that you built. Also, if built to specs it will sound the best. As far as cost goes, you should be able to build a box for around 20 dollars. Give it a shot, you wont regret it.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1195
thats a good rule of thumb, but just make sure u no what ur doing, or do it with someone who no's

Post Number: 10
Do not boy a box, build one. It is fun, and it should only cost you around 20 bucks. If build properly it should sound better as well. Also, it doesnt really take very long to build one.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 293
Upload

what's up with people posting the same message twice. yeah chris is right. if you have the time, build one. i just wanted to get my subs out of the previous box fast so i bought one. i am gonna get around to building a ported box to alpine specs. all i am saying is this box sounds alot better than my previous one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Do you prefer ported to sealed??? I prefer sealed for most subs, i would like to hear my RE12's in a ported enclosure just to see what the difference is, RE12's are freaking punchy, and compared the the type r's i found them to be louder as well

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 296
i wasn't going for loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I didnt necessarly mean loud jsut for teh sake of being loud. I am talking abuility to get loud and have good SQ to blend in naturally with the rest of the system.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 299
i haven't heard re subs but i would like to cause so many people say good things about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 17
Go with ported. I've got 2 type r 12's that I haven't built a box for yet, but I threw a sealed box together with some spare mdf that I had, but only had enough wood for one box for one sub. and it sounds like crap. It's around .9 - 1.0 cu.ft. which is within what alpine recommends for a sealed box, and the box is completely air tight, caulked and everything so unless this isn't the optimum volume for the sub, I'm building a ported box. I used to have 2 of the old type r's, and I built them a ported box that wasn't to any type of spec. I don't even know what the volume was. And it sounded way better than the sealed box I built. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded like crap. But with a well built box I think you can get them to sound pretty good. So......if anyone knows what optimum dimensions are for a ported box would be, let us know.....

Bronze Member
Username: Jtj5002

Post Number: 22
imo type R sounds ridiclous sealed, if u got the cash get TCAB box from mark, www.thecaraudiobox.com
i have one type R in a 2.25 ported that he built and i hit 140.1 at head set with only 600 rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us