Help a rookie out...

Unregistered guest
This message board is great. Very educational.
Any advice you can give me about the following is greatly appreciated:
Here is what I have,
2003 Mercedes C240
A. Alpine 9833
B. Infinity 60.5CS
C. Infinity 52.5i
D. MTX 404 (for the Infinity speakers 35x4 RMS, the MTX test sheet w/amp shows actual is 44x4 RMS)
E. Sony 12" Xplode sub (I know, but I got a great deal, RMS=350W)+ Ported Q-Logic 12" box.
F. Pioneer GM-5000T amp for sub (RMS 2x380 Peak 760)

1. Is one 4GA amp install kit w/distribution block enough to power both amps?
2. Is Knukonceptz.com a good source for the kit?
3. Is there a difference between 3 2-channel RCA interconnects or having 1 2-channel AND 1 4-channel? Recommendations for these?
4. What would be appropriate speaker wire?
5. From reading the posts about capacitors, I get the feeling I won't need one. True?
6. I'm screwed if I have to put a new alternator in this vehicle. Is that likely??????
7. What's a reasonable estimate to have a pro complete the labor on this install?
8. If the internal amp on the 9833 will not be used, does it still have to be direct wired to the battery?

Thanks in advance for any help.
tk

Unregistered guest
Sorry,
Item F, Pioneer Amp is (RMS 380x1) NOT 380x2.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2117
1. Is one 4GA amp install kit w/distribution block enough to power both amps?

yes

2. Is Knukonceptz.com a good source for the kit?

yes

3. Is there a difference between 3 2-channel RCA interconnects or having 1 2-channel AND 1 4-channel? Recommendations for these?

not really any different.

4. What would be appropriate speaker wire?

18ga for components, and 16ga for the subs.

5. From reading the posts about capacitors, I get the feeling I won't need one. True?

true. if anything you'll want a larger alternator, but may not even need it with those two amps.

6. I'm screwed if I have to put a new alternator in this vehicle. Is that likely??????

not that screwed. it isn't all THAT hard to do.
you'll know if ya need one once the system is in.

7. What's a reasonable estimate to have a pro complete the labor on this install?

$500-800 probably.
that's what it was for a recent RX-8 with two JL 12", new box, 2 amps, front and rear speakers, etc.. although his boxes were custom built.

8. If the internal amp on the 9833 will not be used, does it still have to be direct wired to the battery?

nah. that's just for the amp's current draw. if its disabled, the factory harness is fine.

I'd take the sony sub, QLogic box, and Pioneer amp back.
Get something worth having..
maybe two eD 12" subs in a vented box, and a JBL or Avionixx mono amp to drive them.
you'd be much happier.. especially with how insulated the trunk of that car is.
You could throw a mother-in-law in that thing and not hear the old bag.

Unregistered guest
As I expected, great advice (especially the part about the mother-in-law in the trunk!)lol.

Space limitation in the trunk has me leaning toward just one sub (hopefully with a "quick" disconnect in case I need to put in luggage or something.
Thanks again,
tk

SouthEast, Michigan

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2138
You could go with one Eclipse 12" or 15" Titanium sub.
They are ideally used in small sealed enclosures and if you can spend the money for one, it's an absolutely fantastic sub. On par with the JL 12W7 or very close to it.The sub comes as a DVC 4+4 ohm unit so a single sub gives you a 2 ohm load for any mono sub amp, and the sub does splendidly with 600-800wRMS so an amp like the Kicker KX600.1 would suit it well.
Also, you can vent the rear deck of the car to allow the bass through into the cabin from the trunk.
you basically take the rear deck plate off, cut away the metal till you have a big figure "*" shape with most of the space open from trunk to cabin, then make a template and cut a sheet of wood to fit that metal cut out area.
after that, you cut some steel grating to match, and cover the whole thing with material, then drop it back in.
now you have a rear shelf that can still support weight, but allows sound to go right through.

good option for sedans.

anyway take a look at www.eclipse-web.com at the Titanium subs.
great solutions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us