Powering infinity components while keeping my charging system to par

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 725
I will be adding a Kicker 150.2 (25 amp fuse) or 200.2 (30 amp fuse) to my car to power 1 set of Kappa components. Would either one of those be enough to make the Infinity's sound good? Also, being that it is an A/B and and my sub amp is an A/B amp (60 amps) and my alternator is 85 amps, will I still be ok? Right now just with the sub amp my lights dim just a tad. I was told that since I am not killing my electrical system and overdriving it a capacitor will help. I never believed in them but for this application I can see his point. I might just do a 1 farad cap. Just enough to fill in the small gaps when my subs hit really hard. Instead of wasting power my alternator produces in excess I might save a little in a cap for when I need it most. Would that work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
bump

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 209
caps are useless, if anything get a HO alternator
the only time i reccomend to get a cap is if your lights ARE NOT dimming and you have plenty of headroom with your alternator that way you can smooth out the currents, caps rely on the alternator to recharge them to, its adding more stress to the alt

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 544
If your lights are diming now with only the sub amp a wise decision would be to upgrade your alt because I don't think doing just a battery and big 3 will cut it with both amps IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
I figured though that the cap would act as a small buffer between all of the power components, reserving a little power when it is not needed, for the parts of the song where the extra power is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
My lights only dim while stopped at a light or something. When the car gets revvin above like 2000rpms or something the dimming goes away. That is why people are recommending a cap. Since my electrical system is so borderline. Would a 1 farad cap work just fine? What are the advantages/disadvantages of bigger caps. I heard that they should match your system as close as possible?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 593
Chris, a cap only hides the dimming, and in reality makes the power problem worse. Dimming lights means your alternator can't handle the load, and by adding a capacitor, you're adding ANOTHER load to your already growing list. The capacitor will discharge immediately and then your alternator will have to try to charge that back up WHILE powering your amps.
www.bcae1.com
www.wickedcases.com - Has an awesome article on charging systems, although it seems like it's down right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 730
I still don't get the logic. Don't look at it as another thing to charge. When the capacitor discharges then the power will flow how it is right now. When the amp doesn't need the power, the cap temporarily charges and releases its power when the amp needs it. It really is like a buffer on anything. Many other applications use buffers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 734
bump

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 547
Caps are useless. If you want to get rid of the dimming or at least mask it for awhile upgrade your battery and your big 3 wiring. When you add the other amp chances are they are still going to dim. If you want to get rid of the dimming and not mask it buy a h/o alt. It doesn't have to be the biggest one they make for your car just maybe 50 amps above your stock one should be alright.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us