Am i stupid if i decide to do this?

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 246
i am sick of my trunk rattling. i have done everything i can to make it stop except using dynamat or anything similiar. i asked around about dynamat and someone told me if i don't apply it right, then it won't work. so i asked a professional who customizes car audio and other stuff (like the guys on "PlMP MY RIDE") and they told me $400. that pays for all the material and labor. so what should i do.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2179
there are cheaper brands than dynamat , buy the materials & DIY !......

lol- i just logged on & saw your thread ......

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 249
i know that there are cheaper materials but is it worth paying a few hundred dollars for labor? this guys are professionals. they guarantee no rattle.

thanks for the fast response rovin. that was damn fast. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 537
um your a moron if you do that and it is impossible to gaurantyee no rattle maybe with your current system but what if you decide to upgrade to better subs/amp? I have 100sf in my trunk and it rattles like hell and its second skin. I am buuuying 100ft more of fatmat for the interior. Buy the stuff yourself and do it yourself.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 252
thanks for knocking some sense into my brain Oso. you're right. i never thought about what happens when i upgrade to a louder setup. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 322
Well all you guys are morons :-)lol
It's rarely the panels themselves rattling from the bass anyways. So deadening material won't help regardless the amount applied. That is if it isnt applied to the appropriote places.

The biggest and most common "rattles" and such usually come from the liscense plate, the tail lights, and the bumper cover.
Finding each one of these individual rattles can be cured with some 100% silicone. Some other tricks I might perform would be adjusting the trunk/hatch latch.
I have a 100% gaurantee to stop all rattles here at my shop, but there is no set price given each vehicle is different.

(btw, i'm not saying deadener doesnt help)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2181
yea - i just logged like i said & saw your post @ the top of the heap 1st ....

How hard can it be u just peal/stick & apply with a rubber roller . There are some products that come in a can too for tight to reach places ......

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 254
i guess on a day i am not busy, i am going to have to take apart my bumper, tail lights and any other places that might rattle. and just put it back one by one while observing the sound. i took care of the license plate already so that did make the sound less.

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 257
yeah rovin but zac makes a lot of sense though. cause i do hear the sound from the tail light area too.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1131
in alabama u only need one license plate and u can put it on the front or back

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 261
btw chancey, do you ever have to worry about your car making rattling noise. i mean with that monster setup you got.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1133
yes, but my truck has like 4 coats of eDead, so its not that bad

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1134
Upload

1. License Plate : ( Reduce License Plate Rattle )
The license plate in front and rear can cause numerous odd and annoying noises. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( 4 Sq. Ft. required for deadening front and rear license plates )

2. Inner Firewall : ( Lower Road Noise )
The inner firewall is a location where a lot of noise noise from the engine bay can occur. Many vehicles depending on their design may experience excessive road noise from their vehicle due to a poorly insulated FireWall. This is very common in most of todays coupes, 4 doors, and SUVs. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( 10-15Sq. Ft. Required for deadening inner firewall in most vehicles ).

3. Vehicle Floor : ( Lower Road Noise ) - ( Increase ride comfort ) - ( Lower Floor Resonance )
The vehicles floor is a obvious culprit of road noise as the road is always directly underneath it. Deadening the flooring can reduce standing resonance, ride noise, and overall quietness of your vehicles interior.eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( 30-60Sq. Ft. required for flooring most of toadys vehicles flooring ).

4. Vehicle Roof : ( Reduce wind noise) - ( Reduce Vehicle Roof Flex )
The main reason to deaden your roof in most of todays vehicles is to cut down on wind noise. We only recommend v1SE or eDead v3 for this application. Normally 1 Gallon of eDead v3 can sufficiently deaden a vehicles roof.

5. Vehicle Doors : ( Improve Midbass ) - ( Reduce Road Noise ) - ( Lower Panel Vibration )
Deadening your vehicles doors can be the most effective place to start and concentrate your initial deadening efforts. Doing a good job on your door installation can not only increase the dynamics of your loudspeakers installed in those doors but it can also drastically cut down on the amount of road noise in your vehicle. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( Plan for about 10-15Sq. Ft. to effectively deaden each door depending on how large your doors are ).

6. Inner Wheel Well : ( Reduce Road Noise ) - ( Lower Panel Vibration )
The wheel wells are the obvious place to concentrate some time. As they cover the main object of noise next to the engine. Your tires. With many of todays low profile tires this is a extremely efficient way to lower road noise. By place a few layers of deadening on your wheel well the results are immediately apparent. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( Plan for about 5-10Sq. Ft. of deadening for each wheel well depending on the vehicle ).

7. Trunk Lid : ( Reduce Road Noise ) - ( Lower Panel Vibration ) - ( Increase SPL )
The trunk lid can be a point of many headaches for many of todays drivers. It shakes, rattles, and otherwise makes a lot of strange noises. Using eDead here can reduce sound outside the car from your subwoofer system, increase bass SPL Levels, and lower overall lid resonance. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( Plan for about 10-15Sq. Ft. of deadening for the trunk lid or hatch of most vehicles.).

8. Trunk Wall : ( Reduce Road Noise ) - ( Reduce Exhaust Drone ) - ( Increase SPL )
Your trunk walls are the entrance area for a lot of exhaust noise. Especially in a lot of todays performance tuned vehicles. It is also the barrier between your subwoofers and the road. This means you can actually increase SPL inside your vehicle by keeping your bass IN your vehicle. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( Plan about 20-30Sq. Ft. for your trunk walls)

9. Trunk Floor : ( Reduce Road Noise ) - ( Reduce Exhaust Drone ) - ( Increase SPL )
Deadening your trunk floor has the same advantages as doing the walls and the main floor of your vehicle. However this is the MOST effective places to deaden to rid yourself of exhaust drone. If your vehicle is resonating or vibrating in your trunk due to a aftermarket exhaust or if you would like to lower your road noise in your vehicle. This is the place to do it. eDead v1, v1SE or v3 can be used to remedy this issue. ( Plan about 20-30Sq. Ft. for your trunk floor depending on size of your vehicle. )

Silver Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 264
thx.

Anonymous

if you apply a lot of sound deadener... your trunk lid is still gonna rattle.. but to ppl outside they will hear just the rattle of the lid compared to hearing the subs mixed with the rattle

you have to have a good seal around the edges where it closes.. water tight can still wiggle its way back to metal to metal contact making noise

theres only two ways of fixing that..
one adjust your latch if you can and that holds the trunk as if someone was sitting on it

the latch doesnt work all the time so instead of squeezing the edge of the lid with the latch holding it there.. you need to put more rubber between the lid and the edge of the trunk

find some universal rubber thats thicker but stays on the lip of the trunk (glue it if it fits but doesnt stay)
fill that gap up as to where its kinda hard to close the lid and then youll hear your back seat rear deck and wheel wells rattling lol

as for resonance and flex.. ive heard deadener works

deadener is just a layer of goo that works like hair spray.. the thicker the goo the more sound reduction there is.. made mostly for sound, the thin layers of goo have to dry hard for improved stiffness and the thick layers do not (but the thick wet layers absorb the sound.. you want to repel the sound for spl contests).. it doesnt matter if the thin layer is hard or wet, its gonna block the same amount of sound hard or wet
being more stiff with the panel dried hard

essentially it works like someone screaming under water.. the scream is heard less as it goes through the water whether its frozen or melted

i suggest thick wet for leather interior and thick dry/hard for cloth.. speaking for fidelity
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us