Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 10
dual/quad i dont get it???

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1509
dual means the subs has 2 VC's...quad means its has 4. Having more than one VC allows for wiring flexability.

ex: a DVC 2ohm sub can be wired to either 1ohm (parrallel) or 4ohms (series). And a QVC 2ohm sub can be wired to 2ohms (series-parrallel), 8ohms (series), or .5ohm (parrallel).

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1409
it's basically how many wires are wrapped (coiled) around the former. these wires are charged and the force produced is combined to oppose that of the magnet, thus moving the piston (cone) forward and backward via respective positive and negative charges.
the different number of vc offers different amplifier wiring options.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 250
they should make all subs quads. that way you have more options on what amps to get.

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 538
Quad coils are basically made for power handeling not for wiring options. Dont quote me on that though

Gold Member

Post Number: 1414
"Quad coils are basically made for power handeling not for wiring options."

absolutely. that way, you can wire up to 4 amps to one sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1415
sorry. guess i quoted you after all:-)

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 324
exactly oso
also,
chad, remember that the more windings there are the more it will weigh. although lightweight moving masses isnt really the top prority for spl subs, heavy is a bad thing for woofers in general, especially sq woofers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1419
oh boy, here we go again:-)
with regards to transient response, moving mass isn't an issue so much as the increased inductance that a larger vc creates.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 263
huh? lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1420
transient response-how accurate the sub responds to input signals and the subsequent changes in music.
typically, the larger the vc, the higher the inductance of the driver, the longer it can contain the current flowing through it before releasing it. this potentially reduces the time it takes to respond to the amp's voltage (resulting in a delayed transient response).
it's strictly a function of the current through the driver, not the mass.
that's just a myth. its the primary reason i used to always prefer 12"s over 15"s.
now i just prefer the "punchyness" that 12"s produce.
zac's right. it isn't typically a concern for spl subs. they would rather hold on to as much current as they can. response doesn't matter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us