Local audio shop....humm.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1502
I just listened to a friends new system...a local shop here installed it last week.

here is what he got from the shop:
compVR 10"
ported box
kx150.2
intall + wiring (cheap @ss wiring kit, looked like walmart RCA's)

sounded desent, nothing speacial...just a lil bump, so i asked what he paid...he says a lil over $650. wow...he got the shaft.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 115
yeah big time!

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1504
the wiring kit was 8ga.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 384
damn no g@y sh!t but he got a big black c0ck up his a$s...i paid for everything in my profile with about $700 and my system would destroy his sh!t

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1108
Marshall why didnt u tell him b4 for he wasted his money. lol, some friend u are.lol

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1505
this was the first time i have seen him in like a month...

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1118
ohhh, but has he not heard your system

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1506
oh...and by the way, when i told my SX15, box, wiring (1/0 and RCA's), and amp cost me less than $600 he was pi$sed.

(he listened to it right after he told me how much he paid)

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 370
Alot of people won't listen anyway. LOL.

I try to help out some of the guys I work with, but they'd rather believe the BS from a local shop. One guy pays $550 for two 12" P3s. LOL. Another guy pays $400 for a Memphis LVS 18" sub that was used as a demo only to find out it was actually a 15" LVS. LOL. They told him his sub was 2500w RMS, but it's really just 800w RMS. He's pushing it with a Memphis 1000w mono amp and they are selling him a second amp soon. Some people just don't get it. He told me last week that these guys metered his system at 168 dBs. I cracked up. I asked if the mic was in the port and he said they told him that was how it's done. Wow....

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1149
LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL., just do research

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 122
We have a local audio store that sells Kicker. They used to be NOTORIOUS for rigging there SPL mic and it only got worse when the new junk square solo's came out. I was at a comp with 4 people total and with 2 12in Hollywood Excursions on a punch 800 I hit 134 in a 1991 camaro, this guy in an extend cab big truck runs his 1 15in L7 with a ZR1000 running it in the big ported box, burns his sub and supposedly hits 155. I had him sit in my car and he got insanely angry with the installers asking why if his stereos so many hundred times louder than mine, mine sure as hell seems louder. To ice the cake, a friend of mine was there with a Punch 200 I had sold him running an 8in solo baric in the vented enclosure in his 1997 TA, he hit 138 that day.... needless to say whenever the real judges came, everyone wondered why there systems were down 10 to 20db, they always blamed it on the weather even though everyone who didn't buy there stuff local would be right where they always were or higher.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1526
what mic does your local shop use?

and did they stick the mic in the port on systems they installed?

there is a local shop around here (by local, i mean 40mins away) that competed in a USACi comp near here. the owner and his son brought both their display vehicles. (an S10 w/ a kx1200 and 2 L7 10's...and a small dodge truck w/ 8 compVR 8's on a xs100...both set up as SPL installs, "one note wonders") They were going crazy when both vehicles hit in the 144-146 range. But they nearly sh1t themselves when my 1 SX15 and bp1200.1 did 147.3...needless to say, the guys that came w/ them kept askin me questions about RE for the rest of the day.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 290
People STILL cant believe I hit 139.6 db with a 600rms Xplod amp,2 12" Type R's in a store bought bassworx sub box (Ported), with NO deadening ANYWHERE...just threw it in the trunk and gave 'er heck.
5th place at the Usaci western finals in DB drag.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 293
Oh yeah REULGAR DB drag rules too...mic goes on front passenger window above dash..all measured out

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 124
They used an Audio Control RTA or some sorts and had a few different mics they'd swap on. They used to set it up to be at the drivers ear level in the passenger seat, but they pulled the port trick and several other games to get the numbers they wanted. They would usually just "sweep the mic" and could get it to post WAY higher than you were actually hitting. The local competing store finally started hosting there own shows with real judges that weren't store employees. This is where I go to compete now, they had a guy there with 2 12in RE's and a big vented box in an SUV pull a 150 something and everyone wanted to know what was up. Him and a group of his friends came with alot of Fusion, RE, and other gear you couldn't buy local and were some of the loudest cars there. It was relieving to see honesty at the SPL mic.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1555
some competition organizations still meter at the headrest...i think MECA still does that at some comps.

old audiocontrol had three different mics...if i remember correctly. One was for the RTA (130dB and lower), one for 130-165 (no one was hitting 165+ yet), and later they came out w/ the 170 (or 180db) model. The old AC system tends to read 2-3dB louder than the new TL.

btw...RE subs + fusion amps = good equipment :-)

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 944
Ive been thinkin about a 12 inch SX myslef...depends on how it is in a year.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us