JL 500/1 but which SUB ??? Jonathan/Isaac or anyone else

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2524
I own a JL 500/1 but am trying to match it up with one of the following subs. Please give me some feedback of which combo whould work better with the 500/1 based on any real life experience and not just RMS figures

- 2 JL 12w3v2's

- 2 JL 8w7's

- JL 10W7

- JL 12W7

- ID MAX 12

I already own 2 JL 12w6v2's so thats not an option. Thanks

p.s. i listen to all types of music but mostly rap. Just looking for daily system with this.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2525
also

- 3 RE 12's / 175 rms each / dual 4 ohm / 2.67 final impedance / $77 shipped each

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5027
Of your list there, the best match is 10W7 in HO box. The 12W7 is a tad too powerful for the amp, and unless you have lot of trunk space, 1 10W7 in HO box will sound as loud, if not louder than 2 8W7 in a reg box.
You'd be surprised what a box design can do.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2526
Isaac, thanks for your input man, If you see any on ebay then you know what to do. Ive never heard a W7 sub in a car yet. Let me know

Gold Member

Post Number: 5032
Will do.
For everyday driving, the 10W7 with JL 500/1 amp sounded great. It was loud enough to rattle the glass/trunk/mirrors, as well as my ear drums. I was impressed with the SQ more than the SPL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5034

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2530
Good to hear man, im excited cause i havent installed my HO alternator yet and im still running my CrossFire VR1000d amp to push my JL 12w6v2's and at higher volume im getting dimming lights so im thinking about stepping down to somthing with less stress on my electrical system so i wanna use my jl 500/1 which should do the trick along with my ppi a600.2 for the CDT HD62 set up front. Hopefully i can find a good deal on one on ebay. Im willing to even trade my Avalanche 15 w/ the 2.2 sealed box to anyone that wants to trade.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2557
What car did you have the 10w7 in HO box in isaac ? Mine is going in a SUV

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4166
I have used that set-up in a SUV MO and it sounded great, To me it lacked the bottom end I was looking for. You will prob have the same prob when listening to rap.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2558
James were you happy with the overall sound quality in the HO BOX and was it loud enough for a daily driver for you ?

I know the Avalanche 15 has spoiled you with the low end but you cant compare the 10w7 low end to the Avalanche 15.

For 500 watts rms of that sub and the efficiancy of the jl 500/1 amp i hear it gets loud enough for a daily driver and sounds nice also according to isaac. How does it sound with the front stage ? Im not looking for all out spl but just a nice SQ with the ability to put out that nice overall bass. Thats gonna be less stress on my stock electrical system also since i do have the crossfire vr1000d in now so thats dropping from 1000 watts to 500 watts which will be a good thing in my case until i put in my HO 180 amp alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Kleinc

Post Number: 25
I have four RE12's, and they are amazing subs. I am running it off of a zapco reference 500.1, so maybe you should think about also going with 4 of them as the JL amp is underrated. They have amazing SQ, and are the punchiest subs i have ever heard in my entire life.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2560
Yeah i remember your setup chris. I use to have 1 RE 12 ported but its a tossup between

3 or 4 RE 12's in a sealed box / 3subs=525 watts rms and 4 subs = 700 watts rms which the JL amp wont be capable of doing. JL 500/1 can only do about 550 or so max so that whould be underpowering those already underated RE 12's so you know going with 3 whould make more sense.

or

10W7 in HO BOX
which will cost more then even 4 RE 12's and box for it.

Decisions Decisions ????????????/ Help me out guys

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2561
also do you have a picture of you setup chris ?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 514
Dont mind if I do...

But,

If you select your sub first, then the amp will be easier to select after the sub. Trying to match a sub to fit your amp is almost like trying to find a trunk that will fit your sub.

I would sell the amp. Then select the sub you like. Then select the amp you need.

Difference is LIKE-NEED.

Food for thought.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2562
For one, im not gonna sell the amp and 2 i know how to match up amps to subs. I was trying to get some ideas from other users on here.

The whole point of doing this is to go with a smaller system that is more efficiant and can sound good and get loud for a daily driver.

After experimenting with subs, i have found to like SQ more then SPL. Im a fan of the tight clean subs that have a punch to it. My favorite subwoofers of all time are my JL 12w6v2's in the prowedge box. That is an addicting system for bass if your into musical subs/SQ.

Another sub i really liked was the RE 12 entry level subwoofer. I put 1 in a ported box and sounded very clean and accurate with a solid punch and got fairly loud for one 12 thats rated at 175 rms a piece.

Im leaning toward the 10w7 since im already impressed with just about all the JL subs ive heard but also considering 3 RE 12's off the same 500/1 amp. One will be more expensive then the other and you know which one that is.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4180
if thats what you are looking for MO I would have to say it will satisfy you for about a week because that seems to be how long you keep a average set-up:-) lol! but yeah man it will sound nice with the ability to get loud when you want it to.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2564
lol.. yeah but i actually never sold my 12w6v2's in the prowedge box and never will probably. They are just to nice. I just wanna use another setup off my 500/1 because i wanna put it to use in my other car even if not this one.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 515
My point is that it will not work out to match up a sub after you already have the amp. It just simply doesnt work out that way. You have to start with the sub first.

"The JL 500/1 amp is a terrific amp";

However it may not be the amp that your "LOAD" may need. Thats why I recommend to determine which sub you like (sound wise), then see if your amp is suitable for it. If it isnt then do not try to FORCE that JL 500/1 amp to match it up just because it is a great amp, or change your sub till you find one that fits the amp. Chances are that you may not find a sub that fits your sound taste for this particular application.

Personally I believe that you will over-compromise yourself.

Its kinda like this;

I have my favorite pair of jeans, but I am not gonna wear them when I go swimming. Yeah the jeans are great quality, they fit me well, they look great on me, but they are not designed to fit swimming applications.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2565
The JL 500/1 actually does from 1.5-4 ohm loads and its gonna be very hard not to find a sub that matches that impedance. I have enough experience to be able to tell that. I have dealt with audio for a while and matching up has never been my problem.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2566
Isaac how does $600 out the door sound / that includes shipping for the 10w7 in HO BOX ???

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2578
?

Bronze Member
Username: Bakerj72

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 78
i got a used 10w7 in HO with 500/1 for like 625 USD we agreed to 100 shipping

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2581
How do you like that setup

Bronze Member
Username: Bakerj72

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 86
havent heard it yet
im sitting on a stock HU
still dont know what to get for it

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2590
Let me know once you get everything setup.

Username: Nickboarder27

Inland EmpireUSA

Post Number: 7
I'm running a 500/1 10W7 (sealed) in a 99 eclipse spyder. TIGHT is all I can say... Excellent efficentcy. Its my second 500/1. My other is in a VW. The W7 is awesome in tight spots. The 500 never miss a beat.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2593
Good to hear Nick..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5038
MO, $600 for 10W7 in a HO box sounds a bit high, unless you're getting it straight from JL.
I'd say $500 or less is a good deal.
I've been away for a week moving.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2600
Yeah we missed you on here. Glad your back man.

Yeah i think $600 shipped is a bit high myself.

Im thinking of alternative to the 10w7 off that 500/1. Have any another ideas ? It can be 1-3 subs but im not sure yet.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2604
Yeah we missed you on here. Glad your back man.

Yeah i think $600 shipped is a bit high myself.

Im thinking of alternative to the 10w7 off that 500/1. Have any another ideas ? It can be 1-3 subs but im not sure yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5040
10W7 in a HO box in Canada is $900. Still cheaper than here.
If you want to save space and have good SQ, 10W7 is worth a listen. Before you go buy any other sub, try one. That way, you have something to compare with.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5041
I forgot to mention that 10W7 in a HO box weighs almost 120lbs. This is why it's expensive to ship.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2609
Thats true but the HO box's are not small and do take up some space. Whats the ideal box for the 10w7

Gold Member

Post Number: 5042
I think the HO box size for 10W7 is around 15"H x 29"W x 20"D.
If you're not planning to get HO box, I'd go with 2 10W7 in a vented box for maximum SPL. They will still get loud with excellent SQ in a sealed box too.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2610
Well keep in mind Isaac that im only gonna be using 1 JL 500/1 and i need to find a sub setup for that particular amp that will be loud and have excellant SQ

The Width of the 10w7 HO box is 32" by the way and thats the widest i can fit in my car due to the folding seats as seen in the picture below. My 2 12w6v2 in my prowedge box is also 32" wide as you can see and its a tight sqeeze. I plan on going on a more efficiant system with 500/1 for subs and the a600.2 for the componants up front.Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 5045
It should fit your car perfectly then. For everyday driving, I find W7 in a HO box has everything a person could want, SQ and SPL. The setup I got to test was 10W7 in a HO box with JL 500/1 amp. I don't think you would want any more power. It was plenty loud enough to make my ear drums numb.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2613
How do you think it whould compare to the 2 JL 12w6v2's i have now off that CrossFire VR1000D.

SQ wise i havent heard a better setup ever but i want to change to somthing to fit the 500/1

From what your saying it sounds like a winner isaac. You have a good ear and have played with alot of car audio so im sure you know what your saying in this case

Bronze Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 97
have you tried to hook it up to 1 w6v2? thats my setup and it sounds amazing, and hits equally as hard.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2614
I havent ran 1 500/1 to the 12w6v2 but i have run my crossfire VR1000D to it in a 1.5 cuft box tuned to 32hz and i wasnt as impressed with the output as 2 12w6v2's off the crossfire vr1000d in that sealed prowedge box.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2618
Isaac how does this deal sound ?

JL 10w7 in HO BOX + JL 500/1 amp + free shipping

$700 out the door

Gold Member

Post Number: 5046
MO that is a great deal. I'd buy it.
From my experience, for everday driving, you really don't need anything more than JL 500/1 and 10W7, unless your goal is to pi$$ off your neighbourhood and trigger car alarms.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2619
Thanks i will probably get it then. Ill let you know how it works out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us