Amplifier for Kappa components

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 708
I think I am getting 1 pair of Infinity Kappa component speakers (6.5"'s). I am going to be looking at a fairly inexpensive amplifier (preferably Kicker or Infinity since I get HUGE discounts) to power them. I was thinking maybe the Kicker 150.2 or 200.2. Would I be better off just with my set of powered components up front and leaving out all rear fill except my subs? Would those speakers overpower 2 RE12's sealed power by a kicker 450.2 amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
bump, and because right now I have to turn my HU up to about 45/61 to get really really good bass from my subs and get them moving will I have to turn up the gain since if I cranked it up to 45 with components powered by an amp it would blow me away. Is that alright to do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 713
bump 1 more time for the night. Would a kicker 150.2 give Kappa's enough clean power?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1078
yeah, dont waste money on rear speakers, and i would get the 200.2

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
are those kicker amps clean enough to power those infinity speakers and sound really good?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 498
I would recomend this amp for those infinity kappa perfet 6.5"

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?Item Key=10065618&CategoryDesc=Punch%20Amplifiers

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 499
The kicker KX 200.2 puts out 100 watts X 2 channels @ 2 Ohms.

Your Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" are 4 ohm not 2. The kicker KX 200.2 would not fit your application.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 500
The Kicker KX 450.2 might be a better amp for your Infinity Kappa perfect 6.5", since you have a 4 ohm load instead of 2, the KX 450.2 would probably put out about 125 watts X 2 channels at 4 ohms.

That would be perfect for your setup, since it would have some headroom.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 501
"Would those speakers overpower 2 RE12's sealed power by a kicker 450.2 amp?"

The RE 12RE handles 175 watts RMS and is a DVC 4 ohm sub. If you plan on using a pair that means two subs. If you wire each subs voice coils in paralell, then each sub will be 2 ohm. This way you would need an amp that puts out 350 watts X 2 channels @ 2ohms.

If you wire each subs in paralell, and then wire both subs again in parallel, then you would have a 1 ohm load and you would need an amp that puts out 700-800 watts X 1 channel at 1 ohm.

Either way that Kicker KX 450.2 would not be sufficient for you subs. It would play, but it will not drive them to their max.

Also, keep in mind when you have a weaker amp than your subs, there is a chance of blowing your subs due to under-amplification.

If you do plan on going with that Kicker KX 450.2 for the subs, then keep the volume below 60 % of max. Anything above that would jeopardize your subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
Well I am giving the RE's 250rms apeice. They are 175rms rated subs. I could get the 150.2 and give them like 75rms apeice for the components. I don't get your point mixneffect.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 503
How do you have your woofers voice coils wired?(Parallel or series)

How do you have the woofers wired? (parallel or series)

Silver Member

Post Number: 716
I wired them how crutchfield said so they are running at 4 ohms. I just used the pictures they provided and did the 2 subs X dual 4 ohm VC's to get a 4 ohm load. The amp is wired in stereo.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 504
Wiring 1 = Parallel
Upload
Wiring 2 = Series
Upload

How are your subs wired? Are they like wiring 1 or wiring 2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 717
2. I was refering to 2 subwoofers, that is a diagram for 1. But since 2 8 ohm load subs make the amp 4 ohms then that is what I am doing.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 505
Heres a better diagram. This one fits your setup since you are running two DVC 4 ohm subs.

Wiring 1 = parallel = 1 ohm

Upload

Wiring 2 = Series = 4 ohm
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
I am running the second option there. The amp is 225X2 @2 ohms stereo or 450X1 @4 ohms mono. For some reason when I switch the wires to get it to mono it goes into protect at about half volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
The kicker 250.2 is 85rmsX2 at 4 ohms and 125X2 at 2 ohms. Couldn't I just run the 85rmsX2 to the 2 components? And do you think my alternator could handle the 85X2 and 225X2 (both are A/B amps). I have an 85 amp alternator. Light dim just a little with maxed everything. I will turn the HU power off ( I am assuming I can) when I get the amp to power the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Swegs

Post Number: 42
huge dicounts? u work at circuit city?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 506
"For some reason when I switch the wires to get it to mono it goes into protect at about half volume."

Thats what I was affraid of.

I think you are wired parallell/parallell as in wiring 1 with two DVC subs. That has a total 1 ohm load,NOT 4 ohm.

Double check your wiring. The fact that your amp goes into protect mode about half volume may be the fact that you have too low of a load (1 ohm).

I have had DVC subs before and the power rating was given for each voice coil. So when I looked up your subs it said 175 watts RMS. I assumed that your subs handle 350 watts each. Thats why I recommended a 700-800 watt amplifier.

Would someone that is familiar with these subs please clarify if these subs in fact handle 175 total each or 350 (since they are DVC).

"Couldn't I just run the 85rmsX2 to the 2 components?"

It is best to match up speakers RMS to amplifiers RMS as close as possible, and even go over a little on the amp RMS for headromm. If your amps RMS is lower than your speakers RMS than you are under-amplified. This can ruin your speakers and/or amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
Well I heard people with 1 pair of Kappa's running 60 watts to both and they said they were loud and awesome so I guess I will give that a try. Also, to get more output from my subs, I am going to build a nice ported box to RE's specs. If the wires are hooked up as shown in that figure 2 and the amp is running stereo (1+ 1- to one channel and 2+ and 2- to the other then can't I just switch them and go 1+ 2- and 2+ 1- to get a mono 4 ohm load? The 1's and 2's are the original channel wiring)

Silver Member

Post Number: 723
Well I heard people with 1 pair of Kappa's running 60 watts to both and they said they were loud and awesome so I guess I will give that a try. Also, to get more output from my subs, I am going to build a nice ported box to RE's specs. If the wires are hooked up as shown in that figure 2 and the amp is running stereo (1+ 1- to one channel and 2+ and 2- to the other then can't I just switch them and go 1+ 2- and 2+ 1- to get a mono 4 ohm load? The 1's and 2's are the original channel wiring)

Silver Member

Post Number: 724
bump

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 508
Its hard to understand your description.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us