My 2nd Type-X just died!! What gives?

allende5
Unregistered guest
I ran my first 10" Type-X (1000W RMS 4ohm DVC) sub for a couple months with an Audiobahn 8000T (rated 800w RMS @ 2ohm). I ran it in a slotted enclosure for awhile when it eventually started rattling. I thought perhaps I clipped it to death (how do you know if you're clipping anyway...does it actually cut out?) I never had a problem with it cutting out and it always ran clean.

Still I decided I wanted an amp with cleaner power. I dumped the Audiobahn, forked out the extra money, and bought a JL 1000/1. I also went with a 12" Type-X this time and ran it in a sealed enclosure. It ran great for two months. Then again...rattling. Just like that BAM dead.

I'm stumped.

A few facts:
- My car is a Miata, it only has a 65 amp altnernator. Could the lack of enough current play a role?
- I tried to make the most of my limited power. I ran a 0/2 AWG cable from the altenator to the battery in the trunk.
- I used a 2 farad cap (helped a little). Even when hitting hard, the voltage rarely dipped into the 13v range (though the lights dimmed like hell).

Any input?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 738
question.. where did u have the gain/ input sensitivity set at on the amps?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2086
Could be lack of current . Asking that little 65 A alt to run the car ,a cap & a 1000wrms amp is just asking too much IMO .

U could be blasting that sub too hard also .

U did not mention if u had another amp powering your highs/mids - but if so then more power drain again .

U need a HO alt & a better or additional battery like an Optima yellow top ......

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 739
question.. where did u have the gain/ input sensitivity set at on the amps? sounds like u did clip them to death.. the type x shouyld be able to easily handle 1000 watts

allende5
Unregistered guest
I'm also running a JL 500/5 to push my mids, tweets, and bass shakers. I'm running my mids (Infinity 6000cs) on the 100w x 2 channel, my tweets on the 25w x 2 channel, and the bass shakers on the 250w x 1 mono. I have the gains lower on the 250w channel, the bass shakers supports only 50wrms. I'm then using a Clarion MCD360 active x-over, so I wouldn't think the mids and highs are drawing a significant amount of power. The shakers however are drawing at least 100wrms total. So yeah, that is a lot to ask for from a 65amp alternator. I really didn't think I was maxing it out though.

I'm running a Clarion EQS744 EQ which has a line output level of 7volt (probably max). I'm running only one RCA from the EQ to the Clarion MCD360 3-Way X-Over (line out 5v max). The gains are somewhere around 40% I want to say. The little slot on the JL gain control is perfectly vertical (I think that may somewhere around 40%).

I looked around awhile ago for a HO altnerator for this car, but couldn't find any. I may be able to find a shop to rebuild mine, but the increase would be minimal I'm sure, and probably rather expensive. However, if anyone knows otherwise, please advise. About upgrading to an Optima batter. I never really understood how upgrading the battery would help if you're using the same alternator. If upgrading the battery would help at all, I could probably try that route.

I knew that it was mathmatically not possible for my car to put out the kind of current needed to produce 1200+ watts of power. However, I only thought it would affect the performance, I didn't think it could damage the sub.

allende5
Unregistered guest
If I'm going to have to drop another 3 or 4 bills on another sub, I may as well look further into get a higher output alternator first.

I'm open to suggestions on finding a shop where I might be able to get this done. Most of the shops I talked to were not very encouraged that they can get much more out of that alternator. I'm in the souther California area if anyone knows of a place.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 826
Yes, that is FAR TOO MUCH current for your little alternator. Your lucky you didn't toast your amp with you sub. Get a HO alt, you need it.

Go here:
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

allende5
Unregistered guest
Isaac, thanks for the link! That's what I've been looking for. I requested a quote. I hope he can do something with thie OEM alternator. We'll see...

allende5
Unregistered guest
Very cool. I just placed my order for my alternator. He says he can custom build one at 180 amps.

Has anyone else bought and alternator from Nathan at Excessive Amperage? How do you like it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us