I need someone to verify this idea will work

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3618
Im sorry for cross posting but hardly anyone goes to this area of the forum (i dont wanna get us all buying this stuff if it wont work)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/video-games/172820.html

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 67
That will work, we were thinking about doing it and getting our campus wireless at our apartment but we read that it violates FCC regulations. I don't know if anyone will notice it but just something to be aware of.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3620
Thanks Brian.....Well i know using a connection that taps into a wan link that is provided for another is against rules i think but how is a wireless lan only breaking rules?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3621
The way i see it im creating a wireless intranet

Gold Member

Post Number: 3622
so far all i see is im legal doing it my way

Wireless Lan (WLAN) Stuff

Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) have certainly advanced over the last seven to 10 years, haven't they? WLANs can be defined as short-range packet data communications between base stations and user terminals that permit data rates up to 54 Mbps for coverage in indoor hot spots. Direct communication between terminals is also possible. WLAN allows people working within the same building to access their company's Intranet wirelessly.

OK, that describes what a WLAN does -- but there are all sorts of different standards in use now or coming online soon that govern HOW a WLAN works. Currently, IEEE 802.11b is the dominating standard, but others either available now or coming soon are:

* IEEE 802.11a; 5 GHz, only allowed in the US
* IEEE 802.11g; 2.4 GHz
* HIPERLAN/2; 5 GHZ
* IEEE 802.11h; 5 GHz, will incorporate HiperLAN functionality

Gold Member

Post Number: 3623
oh wait thats all indoor

Gold Member

Post Number: 3624
does this show id be legal doing my idea?

AMPLIFIERS USAGE IN THE 2.4 AND 5 GHZ WLAN BANDS
Prior to October 2004, amplifiers used in 802.11 WLAN bands had to be certified, marketed, sold, and installed as a complete package, including the amplifier, the transmitter, the specific cable, and the specific antenna. All the products had to be sourced from a single vendor, in the configuration in which they were certified. Any changes required a new certification.
The October 2004 changes to the regulations eliminated the requirement for a single complete set, and permit the purchase of devices from separate sources. However, the amplifier must be certified with the specific transmitter and antenna it will be installed with, and it must follow the same Effective Isotopic Radiated Power (EIRP) limits as the transmitter itself.
Amplifiers must either comply with the unique connector requirement, prohibiting the use of standard connectors such as standard N, TNC, or SMA connectors, or must use some type of electronic signature between the transmitter and amplifier, ensuring the amplifier is used only with certified transmitters.

OTHER NOTES
The FCC staff clarified that under the Communications Act, the FCC has exclusive authority to resolve matters involving RF interference (RFI) when unlicensed devices are being used, regardless of venue. The FCC also affirmed that the rights that consumers have under the FCC rules to install and operate customer antennas one meter or less in size apply to the operation of unlicensed equipment, such as Cisco and Linksys Wi-Fi access points.
This means that local municipalities, cities, or neighborhood groups cannot impose restrictions on installations of 802.11 WLAN products on property controlled by a user, except where public safety is a concern.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 76
I believe it's because the signal is so strong it can interfere with things that it shouldn't. It's not that the device itself is illegal bye any means it's the ammount of interferance it can cause, this is what the OTHER NOTES is from. I say go for it and if someone complains take it down.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3625
either way i still am not sure how I violate fcc regulations??? and id like to know once and for all because if im not i could take this idea further

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 78
It's the RFI and the ammount of radiation it *may* put out that they were talking about in the site i read. I don't think you're in any danger of voilating these I just know we never went through with it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3629
im gonna do it if its legal

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 79
This:
"However, the amplifier must be certified with the specific transmitter and antenna it will be installed with, and it must follow the same Effective Isotopic Radiated Power (EIRP) limits as the transmitter itself"
and this:
"The FCC staff clarified that under the Communications Act, the FCC has exclusive authority to resolve matters involving RF interference (RFI) when unlicensed devices are being used, regardless of venue"
is how it *may* violate the FCC guildlines.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3630
the last one could have me there your right but i would be within power allotments i read up on that part

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 80
http://www.hackaday.com/entry/6177520217552720/

http://www.tritium.co.uk/FAQ.htm

http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 81
Those links show the setup and such, I highly doubt you'll get in trouble for this especially if you're using a very well aimed can or if you do the dish mod listed in the bottom link. How far away is your friends house?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3631
yup that last one is what we were gonna do except with a direct tv dish instead but dont forget this one

http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 3632
a block block and a half

would this be legal using it for ametuer radio?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3633
my brothers house is at least 2 blocks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us