Help with powering amp!

Username: Jchevy91

Post Number: 9
My amp use to run fine, now it constantly turns on and off. I've checked all of the wiring, and i already have a high output alternator. Its a DX700 kicker amp. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Please help!

Rhino20
Unregistered guest
It could be just something as stupid as your wires being crossed... Sometimes when you have your - and + crossed, it creates a feedback that will go to your amp, and cause it to reset (hence the constant on/off) Check to make sure that your entire system is wired so where as ALL the + connections (from the head unit, on out to the speakers themselves) are connected to the +, and the same with the -'s... If this doesn't help, post again...

Pat L
Unregistered guest
I doubt there is a problem with the AMP, It happens at least once to everybody. Really just make sure the wires are plugged in very good and check and re-check (trial and error). You may want to try out sodering the ends to get a great connection.

Post Number: 10
all of the + and -'s are correct

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2067
is this the amp you have wired to 1 ohm?
if so, that's why it's cutting out.
thermal overload protection

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
they're 4 ohm single voice coil subs, so they cant be wired 1 ohm, they're wired at 2 ohms, and the protection light doesnt come on, the power light just fades out sometimes

Username: Igotbass2

Da burgh, Pa Ur kiddin

Post Number: 3
have u turned the gains up or changed subs

Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 3
I only know a few things to correct this.

Like they said earlier check if they're connected secure. Your remote wire may be touching other wires within the system (especially if connected in the fuse box instead of directly to the radio/cd player) you should definitly get electrical tape and tape up any wires that can touch other wires.

If you ran the RCA cables on the side your power cables it may be causing some interference.

You may need to replace a fuse, sometimes power cables come with a 40 fuse when you can use a 50 fuse on it.

Also make sure your amp is level, if it shakes too much it can cause the amp to turn off, I've hit a speed bump 30mph and that happened before.

Check the settings on the amp, something may have bumped into it and hit one of the switches on your amp.

If you can't figure it out, take it to where it was installed (or tell a store they installed it a few months ago) and tell them it's shutting off and you haven't touched it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2102
if it was a fuse he'd get no power at all.
RCA line RFI or EMI won't cause this behavior.
You shouldn't hit a speed bump at 30. They are there to slow down people who can't obey a speed limit (apparently like yourself haha)

now,
try using a relay for the remote trigger line so the amp trigger gets more current, and be sure its a 12V signal. some amps use a higher current signal to trigger them than others. some as much as 350+mA

make sure your ground connection is SOLID and to "bare" sanded metal.

if that doesn't help, try replacing the amplifier
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us