Competition sub....to a point

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 247
K I'm loking for either 2 12" Re sx or 2 Kicker L7's. Both in custom ported box to specs running off 1000 RMS @ 2 Ohm EACH. Which will get higher SPL as I've heard Kicker and they arnt horrible as some people say...but my Type R's are better for SQ..but im willing to sacrafice!! The only thign is I havtn heard Re sx at all.

what will hit higher SPL???

thanks alot!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1433
SX vs L7 for SPL...humm, it would be all in the install. An Sx would prolly like a smaller box than the L7, and it would make a better daily driver...IMO.

Install would be 110% of the difference though...ex, 2 weeks go i beat 2 new L715's (w/ 2200w) in a hatchback by ~1.5dB w/ my 1 SX15 (w/ 1200w). Either would make a good "semi-spl" sub, but personnally i lean toward the SX (or type-r's)

Silver Member

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 248
Yeah, I have the Alpine type R's right now. They are good...but I want more of a competition sub. My friend i getting a 15" kicker L7...so Ill check out what that sounds like. Personally I've never heard the Re sx, thats why im not to sure about it

Bronze Member
Username: Transient

TaosUSA

Post Number: 18
Hifonics Zues series subs can handle very high power and are great sq and bass subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 52
I had a 15in L7 in the 6 cubic foot vented enclosure running on a Punch 800@2, and it was VERY dissapointing. I now have a pair of Soundstream SPL mules that in 1/3 of that air space SEALED will eat it alive but I hardly ever use them (pulling the other subs and installing them is a pain). I'de recommend Hollywood's PRO line of EXCURSION subwoofers I have experience with the 1280D's and the 1580D's and they're phenomenal! Loud and reliable.

Silver Member

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 249
Ok so how would a 12" SOLO X do.....just one ported....getting 2000 @ 1 ohm?
The only problem with the subs listed so far is I havnt heard them and I'm not the type of person to go blow big bucks on some company I've never heard.
Perhaps I will upgrade the Type R's to the NEW 05 models as I have last years..... I will wait and hear my friends Kicker...maybe I'll like it.
I just want 2 12"s that are daily drivers that will WIN me some competitions running off of
1000 @ 2 ohms each.

thanks

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1452
if you want both a daily and an SPL system...try interchangable ports. that way you can tune the box in the to ~32hz for daily enjoyment, then unbolt that port and drop in a port tune to peak at your cars peak freq.

a box tuned for daily listening usually isnt going to be anywhere as loud as one tune to peak at the cars peak freq. (spl boxes are known for being one note wonders...ex: 155db @ 65hz, dustcaps blown off woofers @ 35hz)

you should be able to get in the low to mid 140's pretty easily w/ 2 typeR's.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 53
no clue on the Solo X's but the interchangable ports are a good idea, I saw a web site selling W7 boxes with the interchangable ports. At a recent local competition I also saw a kid hit a 153 using a 12in W7 and a bd1500.1 (as a note he was cheating, he had the back windows of his 2 door blazer undone, and he burnt the voice coils pretty bad) but damn was that truck loud. I'de go with the W7 before those Solo X's any day.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 394
? on the cars top peak freq. how do u get the freq. on the car let me now thankx

Silver Member

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 250
So is it easy to make interchangable ports? I have a store bought box right now...competing wasnt realyl a big thing at 1st but after competing it was fun...but 5th place will hopefully be gone after my new system is done.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1455
to find what frequency your car peaks at (roughly) go to a shop thats has a Termlab and get them to meter your SPL.

the computer will tell you your peak SPL and give you a graph of where your SPL peaked. All you have to do is read the graph and it will show the freq you peaked at.

interchangable ports are relitivly easy to build...its just that when you build a box w/ them, you have to take into account that each port is going to change your boxes net internal volume. (ex; my daily port tunes my box to 31hz and give me ~4.5cuft net air space...my SPL port tunes to ~46hz and give me ~5.5cuft net air space)

pics:
www.sounddomain.com/id/southern1inla

Silver Member

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 254
Sounds high tech!
Ill just build a box to specs for whatever subs I will be getting...easy enough!

thanks though!

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 62
Download Win ISD not the new PRO version, but the old one. It will teach you alot if you read the help files about enclosure building, and it's free. The only thing I have against factory recommended boxes is that often they're not built for the best sound, but for what will allow the sub to live the longest under abuse.

Silver Member

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 256
I want the BEST Spl I can get..not one burp but in a daily driver set up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us