SX dissapointment, mtx for your kicker..

Username: Audiomatic

Post Number: 1
Since i'm wanting thump and a 12" SX disappointed me, I sold it and got a mtx 9512-44 12" sub and it also has done the same, i'm thinking of trading it for some kicker(s) but can't decide which/what size/how many..

Anyone have any ideas to what will satisfy me? I really hate mainstream but kicker is known for cheap draggy bass..Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone wants the mtx 9512-44 12" dual 4 ohm model, let me know, looking for trades on it.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 723
well ..
a.) learn how to build boxes or b.) get more subs and bigger ones

Post Number: 2
a.) my opinion about a sub has nothing to do with box building and I already had someone make a box to the specs..ported.

B.) Doesn't help, recommend?

Bronze Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 48
what were your box specs? was it ported? also, what were you powering it with?

Post Number: 4
hifonics 1500xd

15 in. x 14.5 in. x 36 in( my celica's trunk width)

Tuned to 32.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 725
go all out then and get 18" sx's... those should be rediculously loud... in a ported box tuned mid to high 40's will blow your ears out... that is of course if u have enough room for it all, what vehicle?

Bronze Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 50
do you have it wired to 1ohm?

Post Number: 5
2002 celica gt Apex edition.

I've steering away from RE.. actually. Looking for alternatives, cheaper.

Kicker is my main sub of choice right now. Wanting to trade my mtx 9512-44 for some..

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 726
ah celica n/m then lol.. 32 is a good tune but if all u want is the sub to get loud you need to move up into the 40's ,, remember the higher the box is tuned the louder it will be (to a point)

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 727
why kicker?? cant comment cause ive never used them but all ive herd is bad things ... they do get loud but their very unreliable.. RE is fairly cheap compared to most other companys in there league

Post Number: 6
brandon, I didn't do the wiring, that is what i'm assuming from common sense.. lol

Mark,
Suggest which kicker to get :P.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 728
L7's i guess ,, i wouldnt buy them though

Post Number: 8
RE in my personal opinion are overrated and i'm not planning on being in their league.. I was just wanting cheaper bass, most people have told me.. L5s or compvrs.. some say comps are easier on the walletr then VRs also.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1842
1st person ever on this forum saying they did not like RE - woooow ....lol

u could try Orion H2 subs 2000wrms !

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4928
Justin, what kind of bass are you looking for?
If all you want is loud bass, then L7 will do.
If you want some SQ and very loud bass, then RE 15" MT is your choice. Yes, that's RE, and it's not overrated.
Put that sub in 5cu ft - 6cu ft with 35Hz tuned port. Then listen for a week. I dare you to say it's overrated afterwards.

Anonymous

are you kidding me??? kicker has been making the beast overall subs at great prices for consectutive year. The double-stitched surround will make it so their is no distortion at high volumes and my friends kicker 1998 the cone around the sub fell apart after he had it for 6 years and the cone is still off and the thing is hitting soo hard. Also for a 400 watts RMS kicker comp vr sub you can prob. run about 600 watts RMS into that without ot being cloase to the peak. The peak is also higher than they say... The L7's are very loud and will not distort. i dont know if you are thinking about getting one or 2 but 1 will be ridiculous anyways...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 628
Are you looking to kill your ears dude? My 2 RE12's (the bottom line RE) can blow most other subs out of the water. I can't even imagine an SX or XXX or even an MT. 1 properly powered MT could probably permanently damage your hearing. RE's are way underrated. Mine are rated at 175rms. Right now I am powering them with a Kicker that is putting 250rms to each and running without a problemo.

Anonymous

who makes the re's? or sx's

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1848
u are kidding, right or maybe a newbie to this forum ?

www.reaudio.com

Anonymous

so its made by audio enthusiasts

Silver Member
Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 142
lol....so let me get this straight....all you've heard about are the kickers so you assume they are the best???

or you have a pair and don't want to make em seem like sh*t

Bronze Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 70
any relation to bucky lasek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
why don't you get some audiobahns? i'll trade you mine for your mtx

Post Number: 9
Chad, sadly.. no bro :P but, I do have several autographs and have met him because of my last name.

The whole RE deal, I understand they are good but.. not near as loud as I want, see I can't understand how i'm sitting in a local parking lot around here and I can hear this one guys thump all the way across it( he was in a silverado reg. cab. I was in my celica hatchback, and when you stand right next to my car you can barely hear it.. so being I can't afford any more RE, the sx didn't appeal to me versus his audiobahn( yea..2 12s)I'm going to go for cheaper subs with more in numbers of them.

For a celica, I have a pretty large amount of room so i'm open to suggestions of which subs to get, I have a 4xx.00ish spending limited and want kicker mostly, i'll do anything from tens to 18s ( UI think kicker made an older 18 ).

Lemme know suggestions, thank you all for posting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
maybe it is your car accoustics. i drive an accord coupe and it's not that loud outside. my friend has older model nissan pathfinder and i can hear him a block away. when i get inside his car, it's not louder than my car. for some reason when you step out my car is quiet and his isn't. someone told me my car is built to keep sound in. i had the same problem as you. except you got way better sounding subs than i do. i hate audiobahns. so maybe your car keeps the sound in. i am going to change my subs to alpine type r but i doubt its going to sound alot louder outside. but it will sound way better inside.

Post Number: 10
frig.. lol. I'm still hoping some kicker L7s will do the job, just dunno what size to get yet. Definitly going ported either way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i just seen your audiobahn for mtx, lol no thx.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1188
Justin: who cares if someone can hear you? All that matters is how it sounds to YOU while in the car. Why build a system for everyone else? You really think they like to hear it? I don't think so...

I've gone to extreme measures to reduce the sound outside of my Jeep so I don't give car audio an even worse name. And for $400, you're not gonna get what you want. $400 bucks is way less than I'd want to spend on ONE sub...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
jake > around where I live.. loud is what goes.. there are no cities/towns even.. no one complains either. the older people are actually part of it most of the time. In turn.. I very much.. think so.. if they can hear it.. so can I as I won't be in my car.. EVERYtime I choose to play it. 400 bucks is more than enough to get me what I want currently, 3 kicker L5 12s. or 1 15" L7.

So, with that said, most people like a loud system around here and those that don't.. well it's because they can't afford one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
justin if you do get really loud, isn't your hatchback going to make a loud rattle noise from the back? if it doesn't you are lucky. if you did something to get rid of the noise i would like to know. the rattle noise is making me frustrated. i can't hear the rattle noise in the car but from outside it sounds terrible. it's kinda embarassing.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1867
with 3 4ohms subs u will end up with a weird 2.67ohms

with 3 2ohms subs its = 1.34ohms

i'd take 2 12" L7s which would hit about 150dbs or so if u just want plain loud .....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thanks rovin :-) that'll save a few bucks too. Chad, all that rattled on my trunk was the lisc. plate and all i did to it was tkae a piece of that foam stuff that is stick on one side and put in behind it, doesn't rattle at all now. I did turn the sx facing up today and tested it and it's a loud louder and flexes y window a little.. not noticable though.. but neat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I wish i hadn't sold it now.. but if he ever gets it.. i'll be happier having my new system lol.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 802
I have 4 l7's and they are loud, get the l7's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
would 2-4 12" compVRs beat the 2 L7s ??

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 804
It depends on the setup, but they should, and why not get 4 12 l7's

Bronze Member
Username: Mattman111

Keizer, OR US

Post Number: 49
look into a DD 9515, i hear those get pretty loud, thats what im looking into but its got a pretty big price tag

www.ddaudio.com

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 809
anything from dd's 9500 series are crazy loud, u might be able to find one on ebay for cheaper

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
yea I didn't bother with the DDs.. lol and chauncey.. how am I to afford 4 L7s? :P lol..

Silver Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 810
like muddy says save now and get what u want

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
lol they will have a new version out by then ;) good idea though..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
Justin: I don't think you understood me. My system is loud enough that I can't physically stand in while in the car, and I've yet to see how loud it'll actually go. Yet my friend's car, with 2 12" Pyramid's in a sealed box sounds louder than mine outside of the car (until I roll the windows down).

What I'm saying is: no one really wants to hear your bass. I love music, but I don't love it when it's coming from/you/somebody went and asked everyone in your area if they thought it was "cool", most of them wouldn't. It's a proven fact. And if they DO think it's the sh1t, then by god, let me know. I'm sure many of us will want to move there...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
.. well come to move here, i'm president of lowrize customz.. and everyone from the highschool to older locals.. are in it or dropmob.

Everyone likes the bass, thing, opposite of yours. As stated, i've asked. I understood completly.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3973
A. Your expectations were too high...

B. Is it your sole purpose to make your car as audibly loud from the outside as possible?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 347
if you wnt to be heard from blocks away grab a wrench and start loosening all the bolts in your trunk your car might fall apart but o well lol...but i understand what your sayign you can barely hear my system from outside when compared to other people but if you sit inside thats a completly different story..and just wonderign what was louder to you the MTX sub or the SX?

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 880
A. My expectations came from opinions based from the forum here.

B. Using kicker, Yes, Although I think after get a professional box ported made from someone here, I'll only be able to afford one L7 12".

Any advice Joe?

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 881
sorry, posting on my friends labtop up here at work. I'm justin lasek, he's justin wagers.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3974
"A. My expectations came from opinions based from the forum here.

B. Using kicker, Yes, Although I think after get a professional box ported made from someone here, I'll only be able to afford one L7 12".

Any advice Joe?"

A. That's the problem with most forums, and this one especially. People talk up companies too much, with about 3/4 of them never even hearing it, or anything close to it in quality. There's so many people on here that have no idea what they're talking about, it's almost dangerous. There aren't enough knowledgable people around to correct them all.

Now, on to you... I haven't read through this whole post, but if you sum up what you want and what your budget is I can give you my two cents.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I'd like loud enough to impress people at local car shows.. have the best in my car club and definitly feel it coming, once at a car show whne I was around 13, this guy had a truck with the back made into a blazer and full of speakers, I could literally feel him coming before I seen him a good long way away. I probably won't be able to do this with my funds but I at least want something close.

I have a budget of around 3-4 hundred for a sub(s) and box. I've never been a fan of the square subs but people say they are extremely loud and not just on this site so i'm hoping.. again they may be right.

Lemme know what you can come up with joe, a temporary box from ebay is probably what i'll go with for now too to save money. I'm deadset on going kicker also :P.

thanks for your time/help/advice. It's very much appreciated.

-J.Lasek

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3977
So you have your Hifonics 1500d, and about 400 bucks. Anyway you could make your own box? With materials it would cost about 30 bucks, and would be better than anything your gonna buy off ebay.

As for the subs, if you really don't care about anything else besides being loud, than the Kicker's may actually be your best bet. Your somewhat limited because of your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
justin why don't you drive around with your hatchback open. i'll bet that will make it loud outside.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3979
With the hatch open his cabin gain would be shot, and it would be much less audible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
justin, i took your advice on that foam stuff for the plates. i went to circuit city and they got that tsunami thing so i bought it and now the sound is alot less. but i think it is coming from the little latch that hooks on to the metal bar thing. don't have a clue how i am going to fix that problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
so that explains the bass going down when i open my trunk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
Justin: you're honestly not going to get much for $400. I would save up. Just one or two L7's won't impress people at a car show (a REAL one). It may impress a few people, but it's nothing real special.

But designing and building your own box will give you invaluable knowledge and understanding. If you do it right, you can get incredible SPL out of your box, if you learn and know what you're doing. If all your going for is SPL, tune it up around 40Hz. But definantly build your own box...

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 176
my friend is selling his 2 L7 12" dual 2 ohm model 2005 for 300 for both brand new nothing wrong with them, some 21 year old kid owed his dad rent at the apartments he owns and he didn't have the money so he took the subs, they were still in the box, this guy was on his way to have them installed and he took them right there on the spot

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 154
I have two 2005 audiobahn immortals that are brand new, and still no one wants to cough up 500 for em, so if you want em you can email me.

jcash
Unregistered guest
hahaha are you serious 500 id rather get two 15 sx than that crap. jeez i wonder why no one wants to buy em.................

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 44
I'll take anything over Audiobahn SERIOUSLY give me Pyramids I've seen those last while sounding like cr@p Audiobahns I haven't seen last. I also recommend you go with 3 or 4 Comp VR's vs. the Solo Barics, I don't like the square design and I had a 15L7 in the 6 cubic foot ported box it was SERIOUSLY over rated, my pair of Hollywood 1580D's in 2.4 cubes sealed outdid it no problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us