Something gone wrong!!

Unregistered guest
So the other day I get in the car and relize the sub isn't as loud as usuall. I tought maybe my girlfriend played with the headunit equiliser. but that wasn't it. So I go check the amp and all the dials are good. Its a 4 channel amp so I figured maybe channels 3 and 4 (bridged for my 4ohm SVC sub) might have something wrong. so I hook up my sub to channels 1 and 2, and it still does the same thing, my sub is moving with the music but its only putting out around 1/4 or less of the output than before.
(I also checked all my amp channels by hooking up my components and they work good regardless of which channel I use on the amp)

So, i'm wondering, is there something wrong with my sub?? or could it be that my amp is screwed and I can't bridge channels anymore?? or could it be something totally different??

oh and here's my specs

- Hifonics ZX6400
- Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 (SVC)
- Infinity Ref. cs6000 components
- Eclipse CD5425

Anonymous

bump!!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 448
Hifonics is not known as a SQ amp. It is an SPL amp. Usually that means lesser quality in sound as well as craftsmanship.

Other things to consider are air pressure (such as altitude), and air temperature in the location you are at. These two items can change sound and mechanics.

A lot of people have been complaining about the same thing recently.

IMHO I believe it is the crappy craftsmanship that is allowed to be presented on the market as quality inspected products. Most of the stuff we buy anymore are not made in 1st world countries anymore. They are made in 2nd world countries and that is mainly the difference. The standards we expect in 1st world countries is far beyond the standards the factory workers in the 2nd world countries are used to. So for them, almost anything is good.

Just a reminder. Have you checked your amp gain, or your loudness button on your hu. The loudness button is not designed as a increaser of volume. It is designed to boost low and high frequencies at LOW volumes, due to the natural loss in output of speakers at those frequencies.

Another thing is proper break-in of your speakers and equipment. Some people believe that electronic equipment should be broken in at a gradual rate over the first 100 hours of use.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 449
Also, I would check that alt on a bench test. I would even check the battery.

Unregistered guest
thanks for the reply. I know my amp is the weakest link in my setup. (going for more of a SQ approach) but for now I have to live with it.

anyway, about my original problem, my gains are set right (5v), and I have the loudness setting "on" on the headunit, and I can hear the highs more clearly but the low frequencies are not working anymore.

Could it be something wrong with my amp that channels cannot be bridged anymore?? or could my sub be at fault (even though the sub looks fine and I cannot smell anything burnt).

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 170
check the fuses on the amp, happened to me recently it starts by getting not as loud day by day, its just a suggestion

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 455
hmmmmmmmmmmm I would check the box.

********Are the ports clogged up with a foreign object?

********Test the subs using a diff amp.

********Have the subs linnear travel changed?

********Last but not least, have your amp bench tested.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1184
that happened to my avalanche. it reaches xmax way too easily and the output is far from what it used to be.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us