How much power is to much power before you...

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 147
have to buy a high output alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 107
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp then check and see how many amps your alt puts out, and you usually want a buffer zone before your reach your max output

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2560
it is about 200-300wRMS on the average.
but some people put in 1000wRMS amps, and only have slight dimming.
depends on the size of your stock alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2417
I have like a stock 85 amp alternator and i have a crossfire vr1000d mono class D amp that has a 120A fuse

and a ppi a300.2 which holds a 30A fuse

Total system draw at full bohr whould be 1300 but im not pushing my volume past halfway on my Pioneer P860 and i have no signs of dimming at all. I have 1 Farad Cap installed to weather it works or not. I just wanted to share this. Some cars have no signs of dimming and some do. When you see dimming thats obvoius and goes out for more then half a second then you need to upgrade to a HO alternator. I havent had any problems yet and its been over 3 months. I have a Optima Yellowtop under the hood and that usually does better then a regular car battery.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 110
yeah....i have a kicker kx600.1 and a kicker kx350.4 and i usually go up about 3/4 on my volume when i get slight dimming... basically like bcae1.com says, if you wanna know when you absolutely need a ho alt, its when your current one fails.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3969
" have like a stock 85 amp alternator and i have a crossfire vr1000d mono class D amp that has a 120A fuse

and a ppi a300.2 which holds a 30A fuse"

Let's subtract about half of that for all the electrical stuff in your car, so we'll say you have 45 amps to work with, and that's being very generous, most stock alt's don't leave much headroom. So your alt is putting out an extra 45 amps of charge, and you have a combined system draw of 150 amps, if everything was running just before the fuses blew. Your never pulling close to that amount, so we'll say that your just driving around at half volume, and your drawing maybe 60 - 70 amps. So where is all the extra power coming from? Are you magic? You may not see problems, then again you could be blind, I don't know. The fact is, power doesn't just come from nowhere, and even if you don't notice much now, you WILL have problems in the future.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2434
Joe im gonna say this once more. I dont have any dimming right now and have had the system for over 3 months. I dont give a f$ck if you believe me or not. Im not here to talk about if its magic or not. I know what works for me might now work for you in your car. My system suits my volume control fine. I dont even listen to my music at halfway now that i think about it. Maybe past a quarter of the volume. If you watch your volume and are happy with the output you get then you should be safe in most cases with your stock alternator. IF you are into competition and wanna blast it and all, im sure you will kill your alternator and battery, especially when car is at idle. I dont blast music at idle for starters. I drive and listen at moderate volume level. Its really the user in most cases that abuses the volume with a stock alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 149
yeah, my girlfriends honda alternator only puts out like 60-80 amps at idle. When i put her first system in her car, we were running two audiobahn subs with the mxa8001D amp, and at full power with the volume almost maxed out, the lights would dim a little bit, but enough to notice. I just hope 200 watts more doesnt kill her car. If her alternator goes out, im screwed, because it wont be a HO alternator going back into her car, itll be some peice of sh!t alternator pulled of a mitsubishi in a junk yard for 45 dollars...haha

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 236
hey whats wrong w/ mitsubishi alternators. haha

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1847
i heard that some of the fast sports cars from Japan have like 120/130/140 amp alt so u could try that if your stock alt dies & get it from the junkyard cheap - lol

Bronze Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 65
when your headlight is dimming does that also affect the performance of your car? at the moment i am running kicker kx1200.1 and fosgate 800.4 with a 2.5 farad cap and i don't notice any dimming. even before i installed the cap there was no dimming. but then again i don't listen to my music that loud. i think my volume goes up to 30 but at 10 or 11 it is loud enough. sometimes i feel like being wild and may put my volume up to 13 or 14.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us