IMPORTANT...subs in cold weather

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 100
k, im up here in Minnesota and its startin to get pretty cold
today i woke up and it was 31.7 degrees.
the weathers fine for me and all...but i have subs in my car. Currently my car is parked outside, but im cleaning out the garage this weekend and it'll be inside then. (garage is not heated, but is pretty much insulated except for one wall). My question is...what should i do about the subs?? Right now i've just turned the sub output on my HU to zero, then worked my way upto about 4, then finally 8(which is max). Is this fine?? or should i just take them out of my car for the entire winter and put them into my house.
I dont have a problem not playing them...the question though is whether i should take them out completely, or just turn em off and occasionaly use them. Lemme know what i should be doing! i dont wanna risk damage to my subs or amp!

Bronze Member
Username: Alanledbetter

Post Number: 35
There should not be a problem. Most subwoofers use materials that do not freeze. Unless it gets down to a couple degrees below zero.

frozen surround = locked woofer = hot voice coil = failure

Probably wont happen though

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 139
yeah, it has to get really cold before your subs fail, if anything its better because it keeps things cold. Im not an expert on it either though, so when it starts to snow and get cold, i usually just play the subs real low for like 5 minutes and slowly turn the volume up.

Bronze Member
Username: 69vwvan

Winamac, Indiana USA

Post Number: 23
i had two jlw0s in the back of my truck last winter. The weather dropped to at least 0 degrees and i never had a problem.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Okanagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 237
I have had weather to about -30 on some days....no problems
(CANADA)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3947
"frozen surround = locked woofer = hot voice coil = failure"

I'd like to see somebody try to freeze a surround, or any other part of a sub with out liquid nitrogen.

Don't worry about the cold. At worst the sub will be a little stiff till it gets warmed up.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 102
i was wandering the same thing, cuz im up in michigan and ive heard some people talk about how the cold is bad for subs...if its not something to really worry about, im alot happier

Silver Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 101
K...well the subs sound like there's no problem

the main problem i was worried about was like the amp...
because there's actual electronics in there
is that any problem do you think??
or is that kinda like my HU...where it just stays in there

Bronze Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 86
Just like mike said, I'm here in Canada and the weather drops WAY below O and I had an amp and sub in my gf's car all winter and never had a hitch. My buddy's friend had a sub tho but the cold weather split his cone opened.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 953
the cones on subs that are cheap often crack and split. i see it all the time with the kids who have the kenwood tornados. my kickers and infinity's never had a problem though.

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 160
k i live in the state right next to him good old north dakota he lucky it was like 23 today when i woke up lol n i ride bike about a mile to school it fun! especially in shorts n a t-shirt but yea there several guys here in town that say if u have a rubber suround when it gets to the -15 to -30's (hasnt hit that for a couple years) but if it does happen that the surround can go and crack damaging ur subs some people say that it'll happen with any surround idk about that tho

Anonymous

I'm in Canada, and I left my 2 Fosgate 10s in my car all winter, and I'd pound the hell out of them even when it was as cold as -35. They worked fine. It probably wouldn't be the best idea, and I don't think I'd do it with my type r's, but I wouldn't worry about a few degrees below 0

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 24
I live in Indiana and it gets pretty cold here I've ran my system every winter for the last 7 years and never had a problem with the amps or the subs, probably be smart to let the car heat up in the first place because getting into a car at 10 degrees below zero sucks but I'de say the cold damaging subs is an urban legend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us