Volfenhag amp and Audiobahn sub problems.

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
My buddy recently bought a Volfenhag ZX8100 amp that puts out 800 watts max. He also bought a AW1251T Audiobahn sub. The sub has two sets of voice coils so we wired them up in parallel. The sub hits really loud, but when the car is on, the amp cuts out and comes back on all the time. You can see the blue lights on the amp fade quite a bit also. When the car is off, it doesn't cut out at all. We have tried everything we can think of. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Also, would it be better for the amp to run the sub in series instead of paraller?

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 659
U maybe drawing to much current from your alternator

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
I've thought of that, but how would that work? Doesn't the amp pull power from the battery, and the battery runs it with the car off.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 661
The battery supplies the power to get things started. Once the engine is running, the electrical burden is shifted over to the alternator, and the battery then goes into a charging state, and only functions to filter and stablize the DC voltage from the alternator. The alternator uses the engine's mechanical power to produce electrical (AC) current. The AC current is passed through a rectifier and changed to DC current by the DC voltage regulator to smooth out and set the voltage rails for the car . The alternator also has the duty of recharging the battery after starting the vehicle by providing a forward bias voltage higher than that of the battery.

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
Is that the only thing that could be wrong? Anyone? Also, does anyone know more about parallel or series and which one I should do?

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
Never mind. We wired up each voice coil to a seperate channel in the amp, and that thing is soooooooo loud. I'm not exagerating either. So far it hasn't shut off either. I just think the amp wasn't that stable at 2 OHMS. I would recommend this amp. It is a really great amp for the money.

Bronze Member
Username: Carolinablue637

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 18
yah i had a volfenhag amp...just be careful. those amps blow subs because they have alot of distortion if you have the gain up too loud. i afree tho, they are pretty good for the money

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
When you say the gain, you're talking about the power level right, not the frequency and hi or lo pass? I assumed you meant the power gain, but am I right?

Nickboxer7
Unregistered guest
When you say the gain, you're talking about the power level right, not the frequency and hi or lo pass? I assumed you meant the power gain, but am I right?

Bronze Member
Username: Carolinablue637

Lincoln, NE USA

Post Number: 20
yah its on the amp and it says gain...just give it another look and youll see what im talking about...its under the cover that says 1600 watts or whatever your amp is
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us