Isaac - Optima Yellow Tops (contd from other thread)

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 360
Well, since I didnt want to hijack the other guys threads we were discussing yellow tops on, decided to start a new one.

You said that deep cycle batteries dont have as many starts as starter batteries, etc.. Which is understandable... but a couple questions..

Why do deep cycle batteries have less starts before failure? I mean, arent they made to be discharged more? I know they produce less CCA and all, though...

Also - using a pair of unisolated yellow tops, how does this effect them? Since they're combined, do I get twice the CCA? Also, say a battery would be good for 1000 starts - would my config make it be good for 2000 starts? Or would each start pretty much effect each battery the same as only having one?

Dont know too much about the mechanics behind batteries etc.. Not ashamed to admit it, and ask... heh.

Seth

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
Also - another question. I have a 200 amp relay, is there anyway to to effectively use this as an isolator, WITHOUT a switch? I.E. using a wire from somewhere, to activate the relay? Or is the switch mandatory? (I have a switch too.. Just was curious about this so I could not have to worry about it...) Was originally going to use my ignition wire...but then realized that if my radio is powered, so is it...therefor making it activate anytime the radio was on defeating the purpose...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4864
Boy that's a lot of question for Sunday afternoon.

Instead of explaining how a battery works, I'll give you a link that'll explain the difference between starter and deep cycle.
Because of the they they're constructed, if a deep cycle battery were to be used in a starter application, you would need 20% - 25% larger battery than a starter battery. Thus, if you had same sized battery, starter will yield more life cycle.
If you double up the batteries in parallel, then you're basically doubling on it's power, so you'd get more CCAs and life cycles.
Why would you have 2 batteries without an isolator? The sole purpose of having one was to separate the starter battery from utility battery. That way, if one gets drained, you will still be able to start the car and drive away. I really don't see the need for 200A relay, that's what the isolators are for.
Having 2 batteries in parallel with Isolator is another story. That would give you 2x more power with engine off. If you only listen to the stereo with engine running, then 1 is good enough.

Almost forgot the link: http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
Isaac, I mean using the relay AS an isolator.. (i.e. flip a switch, or turn the car off, and relay closes, similar to the way you'd use a relay for remote power of the deck when using lots of extra's not just an amp).

I believe it's considered a solenoid type isolator?

Seth
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us