James

Bronze Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 16
hey james - What is the volume of your enclosure for your avalanche? I'm pretty sure you run yours sealed, right?

right now I have mine in a 4ft^3 tuned at 26hz and it's too loud! sounds great down low, but with all boxes that low, it gets a little peaky.

just wondering what you would recommend for sealed volume.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 17
oh, btw.. it's a 15"

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1122
jus incase hes no longer on... im pretty sure its 2.2 sealed. if not then i think 2.5 sealed.

i had my 15 avalanche at 2.4 sealed and i found that i liked the performance at 2.165 sealed better (i added bracing) i also added polyfil. however my avalanche is screwed up right now and reaches full excursion (therefore bottoms out too easily) to easy. i have to baby my 1000/1 to keep it form bottoming out. right now at full volume for 20 minutes the amp gets luke warm at most.... i wish my ava was healthy so i could give it the full power from the 1000/1... i need to give chad a call...

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 18
yea i'm gonna build something rock solid. so i will definitely do some bracing. what did you use to brace it?

my only reason for going sealed is just it's too loud ported... plus i'd like to have some space in the back again... I hope I won't lose all of my low end extension so I dont want to go too small. How did yours sound down low at ~2.2?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4101
I run mine at 2.5 sealed with 800 watts and it is PERFECT for me:-) 16(h) x 16(d) x 24(w) 3/4in mdf front baffle doubled up. these are outside dimensions.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1125
to be honest. it plays the lows well. but if you want volume at that level. stay ported. for the really low frequencys it gets quite quiet but sounds really good. however that is how it is now. when it worked fine it would have been louder but still not crazy loud. but cant hurt trying it to see if you like it. i used mdf to brace it actually. i cut 5 by like 18inch or something (however tall it is i forget) pieces of mdf and screwed and glued them from front to back. its sturdy as it gets.... but that depends on how low your talking about. im talking about the lows like in the songs...

dont put your hands on me- boyz in da hood
a song by mike jones and slim T (starts off by reapeating "holdin that 9")< goes so low!
u aint want that- webbie ft lil boosie

things like that. play them and see if thats how low your talking about.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4103
mine in 2.5 sealed hits the low frequency's very very well:-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1126
james idk if you listen to any rap. but try those songs and see what you think. they hit SO SO SO low.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 19
yea i love mine below 30hz.. "blufunkn" makes me feel like my head is going to explode... but it's too loud. i'm gonna play around and see what i like. may stay ported, but i might like the sealed just fine

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 20
Upload

whatcha think James?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4104
I listen to everything! my favorite song to demo my system is 3-6 mafia tate night tip:-) That box looks nice I would try sealed I think it will give you the sound you are looking for.

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 21
yea... I'm gonna go with about 2.5. Do you have polyfil in yours? Wouldn't about 2 pounds be right for that size box? (2 bags from wal mart)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4105
yup

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1134
2 bag? i dont even have 1 bag in my 2.165cuft box. you opent he bag and it turns out to be like 6 times the size of the bag lol. maybe your talking about a smaller size bag?

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 22
the ones at wal mart (around here) are 1lb bags? for like 99cent? I thought you were supposed to put about 1lb per cubic foot.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4106
thats an average but 2 for 2.5 would be fine. You could go 2.5 even 3 if you want. I would only do 2 because the 2.5 is already on the bigger side for the ava sealed so you dont want to load it up to much. If you were doing a 2.2 box I would say load it up.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1138
oh i think the bag i bought at walmart was like 2 dollars n sumin cents so it was probably bigger. i dont know the rule besides "lightly stuffed"

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2018
what is that box tuned too?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4119
same as yours Hunter 26hz

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 42
I guess you're asking about mine? it's about 26hz

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2019
ahhh such a pretty sound. =) i love late night tip also. sounds amazing but my box is right around 6 cubic feet, so a lil bigger. what up james what you been up to man, havent talked to you in forever.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4122
just been hangin man I saw you on IM the other day I was gonna IM you but I was to busy(TW@T RAG)

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 43
yea it's pretty nice, it goes reallllly low, and loud :-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2020
thats the james i know. and love :-) my car is still all f*cked up. going to pull the head soon and through in some new conecting rods and what not, it sucks as.s

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2021
thats the james i know. and love :-) my car is still all f*cked up. going to pull the head soon and throw in some new conecting rods and what not, it sucks as.s

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 44
hunter, have you got your avalanche metered? I'm just wondering about how loud it is, or should be, I dont really have anything to compare it to so I'm unsure. I would like to find a local place where I can go get it metered.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2023
im not running one. was supposed too but was too poor and couldnt get one from james. so i runa xxx in that box instead. im not that loud. i have bout 700-800 watts to it and thats from an audiobahn amp. i hit about 140 at 36 hertz. but i love the shake and deepness of the bass i get

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4127
yeah man thats a pain in the aZZ took your burnt AZZ long enough to get started on it lol!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2025
well i actually chained my rod bearings and it was ok for about ten minutes then started up again. so i think my con rod is egged out. but i will fix it i hope. never done this before will be fun.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2404
My box is 2.2 cuft sealed and i dont have any polyfill. Whats the differance here with polyfill. Should i do 2 or 3 bags james ?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 610
hey ava lovers. I am considering to take on a SPL project for my car to switch in and out with my 2 sealed RE12's. I want to go about 4-5 cubic feet ported tuned to 25-26 Hz and go with a 15" ava. It will be powered by a Kicker 450.2 that according to its birth sheet is 500watts RMS. Will that be enough to get that bad boy moving and will it be pretty loud?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4131
for SPL you would be better off with a RE SX not a AVA don't get me wrong they will get loud but they are a SQL sub with excellent SQ where the RE SX is a SPL sub with a little SQ. MO I would throw in 2- bags man it would really deepen the bottom end out nicely:-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4132
Hey Hunter just make sure that when its all put back together and the 4 bolts and two rods you have left over go in the garbage cause who needs them anyway:-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2026
lmao! yeah thats what i need a 2 cylinder. the only reason im fixing it is that i have too much money in that car.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 613
but an SX wouldn't be loud enough with only 500rms would it? And wouldn't an ava probably get deeper? I also don't mind the SQ in there that is a plus.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2408
James, what department in walmart can i find the polyfill and do they come in 1 pound bags ?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1163
that would be arts and crafts lol.. apparently they come in different size bags. cuz the bag i bought i used half of it to lighly stuff my 2.165 cuft sealed box for my avalanche. really makes it sound beautiful though.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4141
yeah Hunter you should dump that whip and just buy my Jeep:-)

Bronze Member

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 45
chris - I can't speak for the SX directly, but I think the avalanche would be alright with 500w in a big ported box. I have run mine at 4ohms so it's only getting around 250-300w RMS. It is surprisingly loud with this little power.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2409
I am able to speak on the topic of Avalanche 15 and SX 15 since i have owned both and i whould take the Avalanche 15 over the SX 15 anyday mainly because of the Avalanche's ability to sound good with everything i threw at it. The SX 15 whould be good for the user that loves it loud and doesnt really care much about SQ and is out to get the loudest in town with ok sq. Avalanche 15 gets plenty loud as james has told all of us many times and it is very true for me. It gets as loud as i need and then some and i cant wait to hear the differance with 2 bags of polyfill added to it. My sealed box is 2.2 cuft for my Avalanche 15

My SX 15 was ported at 4 cuft tuned to 30hz

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2028
yo james i would but i cant even buy a sub from you buddy how would i get a car. and thats a long drive

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3966
Awww, come on James, you could use an Avalanche for spl comps. You'd be able to clean house in little local competitions, and your numbers would still be amazing, given the fact of what frequency your playing.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4919
MO you either have a big mouth or those subs aren't that loud! Just kidding.
When I cranked my MT, it wasn't possible to say anything except sit like a rock and get pounded.
You can try to open your mouth and shout something, but nothing clear will come out.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2422
Now i know the MT is all SPL all day. Im just saying for a SQL sub the SX 15 is tough to beat SPL wise. IM glad i sold it so i can just stick with my Avalanche 15 sealed and 2 JL 12w6v2's. My favorite subs so far. IM about to go out to my car and listen to my Avalanche 15 now that i have added 2 pounds of polyfill to it. Ill let you guys know how it sounds after i get back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us