Pre-amp output ratings on head unit

Bronze Member
Username: Hmpadilla

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 64
hi looking for opinions on preamp rca ratings.Looking at 3 Pioneer amps (deh-p7700,deh-p770,deh-p8.Besides a few small differences,they are pretty similiar in specs (sort of) except for price and rca pre-amp voltage specs.1 is 2v,1 is 4v,1 is 6.5v.Is it really worth the extra money for the 6.5v or is 2 or 4 enough.On a budget but don't want to be replacing stuff every few months,All ready in that pattern and trying to get out.Any opinions appreciated.Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1581
u meant decks right ?
spend the $ on a higher voltage model - u will get a better/cleaner signal .
The Premier line is better & the most popular choices among most of us is the 860 model which goes around $300 online + s/h .....

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 65
you're right I meant decks.It was kind of late :-)I really like the DEH-P8MP.Found it for $320 incl shipping with the dash and wiring kit.The 770 is like $100 cheaper.I'm not running high quality amps so I was just wondering if the extra money would be worth it.Thanks for any and all opinions

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1583
The HU is THE most important part of any system since its in charge of everything - so its more than any other part worth spending the $ on . When u really get into car audio u might wanna upgrade whatever amps/subs/speakers u currently got later on ...

Go to pioneer's website & click on the models u want to compare & u will see a side by side comparison . Premier is a great HU brand so no worries about it .

For about $40/50 more the 860 has some more features incl a 13 band EQ , 2 dial knobs + u can add it your own personal screen saver features etc . I already ordered mine & should get it by next wk end .

check www.electronicgiant.com or simply google the product's model number for best price

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 66
Hey thanks Rovin I think I'll check out the 860 before I buy

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 213
i have the deh-p8mp. great freakin' deck, but you may as well pop for the xtra couple of dollars for the 860. one thing i seen the 860 users talking about was this auto EQ you get with the 860 that the p8 doesn't have. they seem to think it rocks........

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 68
Checked out the 860,agree the eq is nice,but I just don't like the dual knobs.I usually screw up the sound when trying to use eqs anyway.The fewer adjments the less chance I have to screw it up

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 36
why get a HU with built in EQ anyway?
blahh

Its best if you do have built in xover or Eq to disable them.

I think it would be best to get a seperate EQ.
I wouldnt waste too much $$ on a head unit just because of the line out voltage.
But its is important to get a good reliable unit!

You can easliy buy a Line Driver! with built in CLIP LEDs on it! some go up to 10V output on RCAs.

You also need to make sure your amp can take that RCA voltage!

my2cents

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 278
i personaly like the p80mp looks better than the 860 im not a fan of colored display
how is the jvc JVC KD-AVX1 ??
3" lcd
5v preamps
only 7 band eq =/
i know jvc isnt that good of a company but just wanted to see how this one is

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1602
Well when i said i'm getting the 860 doesn't mean that everybody should do like me - lol .
Thats why Premier has the various models 4 ppl with variuos needs/budgets .

U can use the built in EQ to tune to your personal tastes in for various types of songs or your listening mooods & also if the recording was poor u can adjust it . But the higher voltage is an advantage - for those who can't understand why & need a proper explanation ,read it on www.bcae1.com ......Upload

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 70
I think I decided to go with the P8MP.My next concern is how it will look in the dash.It's going into a 2004 Chevy Avalance and the stock unit is quite a bit bigger.Kind of worried the dash kit it comes with is going to look cheap.C'mon Rovin you know you want people to copy you,after all imitation is a form of flattery lol!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1622
Actually i did my own research a few wks b4 i joined this forum & when i saw how many ppl owns & approves the 860 here (model's been around about 2yrs now) - that just sealed the deal ....

Your choice is still quite nice though & has the Hi-Volt (6.5V) so you are good to go ....Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us