Does SIZE Matter?

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 105
Now, this question may seem a bit odd, but only because your thinking in a twisted way. Yes this question is one that must be answered through our walk of life. But im not talking about the size of your shoes, im talking about the size of your subs....

Ok serious, does the performance of a subwoofer depend on the size of the subwoofer. Does a 15" hit and play louder than a 10" sub? because if 10's play just as good as 12"s or 15"s then ill just go buy some nice 10"s.

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
Size only matters depending on the woman...some care, some don't. Or at least thats what they say. lol As far as the subs go...basically the bigger the sub, the louder and lower it will play. However, usually with a larger sub you also lose some sq and response time isn't as quick.

Silver Member
Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 127
Size = surface area.
The more surface area your sub(s) have the more air it will push and 'the louder and lower it will play'. I would get some nice 12's. You don't wanna be too small 8"'s and most 'girls' are scared of the big ones 18"s.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 248
^ lol ^
i read an arguement that the bigger the sub (as far as good quality companies) have better sq
as well as they do produce lower and louder but also depends if the company expanded the xmax
as well as they larger subs have more of a prolonged bass note than smaller subs which produce more punchy bass
as well as ... promis its the last "as well as" ... just playin

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 295
This topics been brought up many times..

Transient response has to do with the inductance of a driver, not moving mass nor cone size.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1294
"Transient response has to do with the inductance of a driver, not moving mass nor cone size."

*clapping*

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3928
" well as they larger subs have more of a prolonged bass note than smaller subs which produce more punchy bass"

Two subs in the exact same setup playing the exact same song will produce the same notes. The sub doesn't produce a longer note, if it did then the actual song was being changed. Larger cones have a larger moving mass, and may take a teeny bit longer to pump in and out. That little more amount of time that the larger cone is moving may make it sound as if the bass note is drawn out a teeny bit, but I really do doubt it's audible. Subs now a days are made well enough that cone control isn't much different between a 12 and a 15.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3929
"Transient response has to do with the inductance of a driver, not moving mass nor cone size."

Exactly, but people really need to shy away from this topic so much. Transient response is barely audible with the low frequency's subs create. It seems like everybody has that "the sub is bigger, so the it must meen that it's gonna play slower and not sound punchy" mentality.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1297
"Transient response is barely audible with the low frequency's subs create."

ibegtodiffer. that'swhatseperatesanaccuratesub fromaspl "boomy" sub. it'swhatallowsmetorealize whatthemusicianswereactuallydoinginthe studio vs. themanyyearsofwhat was mearlyapoorinterpretation.

that is,

i beg to differ. that's what seperates an accurate sub from a spl "boomy" sub. it's what allows me to realize what the musicians were actually doing in the studio vs. the many years of what was mearly a poor interpretation.

that's basically the slightly exaggerated difference between the two

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3933
Yes, it plays a role when your talking about something intended solely for spl. I know exactly what your talking about.

What I was getting at, is focused on two different sizes of the same sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us