Hifonics vs. MA Audio

Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide on a new monoblock amp for two 12" MA Audio 120xe's (DVC). I have heard mixed reviews on the MA Audio amps and I know little to nothing about the Hifonics amps. I am seriously leaning toward the MA Audio HK2000D. I read a previous thread where someone said the MA amps are "no good". I'm just looking for any other opinions from people who may have used these amps in the past. Also, if you have used a hifonics amp, please post your opinion as well. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1459
From what everybody who posted here says & will pick Hifonics over MA - even Glass said that !

Unregistered guest
is there any particular reason? do MA amps have issues/problems? I'm looking for some detail behind the recommendation. Thanks!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1461
Glass said MA who used to be Mobile Authority was always a crappy company with crappy products & for the same reason u said above .

U can usually judge car audio products by their price range . Check brands like JBL for a reasonably priced good amp .

is this your sub ? http://incolor.inetnebr.com/weisinator/components/subwoofers/12/ma120xe.htm

- if not post a link

Bronze Member
Username: Hmpadilla

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 63
Hey I am running a Hifonics amp,but it's a 5-channel amp not monoblock.Don't know what your budget is,but for the price I feel Hifonics is ok.Not the best,but definately better than a lot of crap out there.But if I had more money I would definately replace it with something better

Unregistered guest
Rovin - that is my sub. As for the "price = quality" argument ...not sure if I agree with that....but I do see your point. Let me tell you my problem. Right now I am running 2 MA 120 xe's (the sub in the link you posted) on an old school Linear Power amp (500 watts or so) bridged to 1 ohm. the amp runs hot constantly and goes into protect. It also blows fuses if I try to turn up the gain at all or the sub level on my Alpine HU. So, right now, I have to keep my gain at 1/4 or less and the level on the HU at 0...and even then the amp will go into protect after about 30 mins of continuous play (oh..and its SUPPOSED to be 1 ohm stable - yea right!).

A friend of mine used to run MA Amps and subs and he loved them. I heard his system awhile back and I have to say I was impressed. As for SPL I would say that it was louder than most mid line jl, audiobahn, kicker set ups I have heard (my opinion). I found a good deal on the HK2000d from a local wholesaler and just wanted to see what kinds of experiences others may have had with their products. I appreciate the feedback!

Henry - thanks for that man. The more I read the less I like the Hifonics amps...so I am really beginning to lean toward MA. I am thinking on going w/ 2 of the HK2000d's and upgrading my subs or going with 4. Oh...I am already running 4 ga. power cable and I just replaced my battery with a yeloow top so I have addressed the power delivery issues already.

Again, thanks for any input you can give me.

Unregistered guest
Rovin - that is my sub. As for the "price = quality" argument ...not sure if I agree with that....but I do see your point. Let me tell you my problem. Right now I am running 2 MA 120 xe's (the sub in the link you posted) on an old school Linear Power amp (500 watts or so) bridged to 1 ohm. the amp runs hot constantly and goes into protect. It also blows fuses if I try to turn up the gain at all or the sub level on my Alpine HU. So, right now, I have to keep my gain at 1/4 or less and the level on the HU at 0...and even then the amp will go into protect after about 30 mins of continuous play (oh..and its SUPPOSED to be 1 ohm stable - yea right!).

A friend of mine used to run MA Amps and subs and he loved them. I heard his system awhile back and I have to say I was impressed. As for SPL I would say that it was louder than most mid line jl, audiobahn, kicker set ups I have heard (my opinion). I found a good deal on the HK2000d from a local wholesaler and just wanted to see what kinds of experiences others may have had with their products. I appreciate the feedback!

Henry - thanks for that man. The more I read the less I like the Hifonics amps...so I am really beginning to lean toward MA. I am thinking on going w/ 2 of the HK2000d's and upgrading my subs or going with 4. Oh...I am already running 4 ga. power cable and I just replaced my battery with a yellow top so I have addressed the power delivery issues already.

Again, thanks for any input you can give me.

Unregistered guest
sorry about the double post (oops)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1466
Some ppl have good luck with the cheaper brands i can agree with that . But its a smart practice to get something mid-level , not Kia cheap & not Benz expensive .

looking @ those specs your 2 subs only 'need' around 700wrms @ 1ohm so u can easily find like a 1000wrms good brand name amp for it on sites like this www.woofersetc.com .
check out all the good brands here then google it for best price ...... Upload

Unregistered guest
Thanks Rovin! I bought the MA amp yesterday after work. Going to mount it this weekend...I will let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for the input.

Username: Jake110011

Jackson, Michigan

Post Number: 2
HIFONICS OVER MA!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hooked up the MA amp last night and I couldn't be happier :-) Thanks for the input guys!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1658
Then register & post some pics so we can all check it out .......Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us