Battery sparks when i connect power wire.

Bronze Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 54
what is happening, anyone know whats goin on

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3901
What are you connecting? Your power line to your battery post? Or the power wire to something else like your amp? You need to give a little more info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
to the battery, sorry. it will shock and then for a few seconds nothing. a little while after it will spark again. and when i play music the sub moves, but it does so with lottle to no power, i.e. you can see it move, and kind of hear it. but nothing much comes out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 461
When connecting these up to your battery, always remove the negative terminal first. Then connect your power wire to the positve terminal of the battery. Than lastly reconnect the negative terminal to the battery.

The reason it was sparking is because when you bring the power wire near the positive battery post, the current begins to flow between the terminal and the wire. The current can be seen as sparks. If you do it the way i said it wont do that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
but will it still solve the problem with the sub getting no power

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
please help with this. i have spend more then 4 hours trying to figure it out today. if anyone has any idea what happened please let me know.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3909
Check the voltage from your battery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
ok thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
12.2 on acc, and 14 when its on

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3912
Alright, so the batteries working. Everything else works in your car right? It's only your amp that's acting up? If your subs aren't getting much power, than the first thing to look at is the headunit and the amps. Of course make sure the subs aren't blown, but I'm assuming they aren't?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4808
12.2v is a bit low. It should be around 12.5 or higher. Make sure the battery gets charged.
As for your problem, are you saying it sparks all the time or just when you reconnect the power wire on the battery?
With the car's internal components, it's suppose to cause a spark everytime you reconnect to the battery. It means there are electronics that is using up power.
You mentioned about a sub moving with no sound. That is not related to battery sparking. Totally different problem.
Describe what amp and subs you have. When the problem occurs exactly etc.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3915
Yeah, that's where I was headed Isaac. He could have a short somewhere in the power line going to his amp, or something wrong with his ground.

joe - we just need to know that everything else works, and your only problem is the subs not getting power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
yes that is the only problem. my setup is a jl w6-v2 and a 500/1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
i noticed today that my battery is running at around 14.4 14.5v is that what might be causing it?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3920
With the car running it should be in the low 14's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
i got it to work, turns out i has shitty connections. it sounds a million times better now. thanks for the help guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us