Hmmm......

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 101
ok, im upgrading my system. Money Limit is around 600$

2 Subwoofers-Alpine type R- SWR-1242D (4ohm+4ohm wired parallel= 1ohm ..Right?)

Amplifier- audiobahn- A1300HCT

Capacitor- PC5C (5 farad, a lot, i know)
and all the little wires to go with it.

What do ya think?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 537
To wire those subs in parallel and get 1 ohm, they'll both have to be DVC subs. If they were both single 4 ohm in parallel, you'd only get 2 ohms.

For examples:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145

Also the capacitor is useless.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4799
What about HO alternator? Your stock certainly won't handle 1300HCT amp.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1090
Isaac: it's Audiobahn, and he's getting a cap man. He'll outbump all of us, and retain his stock electrical system while doing it!

Ice: I'd go with a different amp, Audiobahn is crap. I'd save up and get an MTX or something of the alike (in the "price range"). And you'll definantly need a HO alternator. This way you can upgrade when you do (trust me, you will).

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 103
hmmm..... HO alternator is definetly a no go. I dont have the money to get the alternator and i dont have to time to put it in. Are sure a capacitor wont help.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2441
science doesn't tell us how smart we are, but shows us how little we know.

sound familiar?

when they say you need a HO alt.......you need one....it is like trying to run your whole house off of a generator that can handle the strain of your electrical appliances, but then you go out and buy another refridgerator and hook that baby up to it, and wonder why your generator is left in smoke.

stock alts are NOT designed to handle the extra current draw of a high-powered car audio amplifier. it's as simple as that.

if you don't have the money, then you need to save up for one.
and i would stay away from audiobahn as a whole.:-)

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 104
Yeah, ill probably go with a mtx amp,but i need some reasonably priced subs, and i guess ill save up for an alternator.

but i want subs that you can feel, Im not to worried about SQ I just want something that flippin hits. Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 106
bumb.......... Name a Good Quality 12" or 10" for about $200-$300 for both on ebay

What about Rockford? P312D4

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 107
I just read the specs on the rockford T1 punch subwoofer, and it sounds nice and its not that expensive. What do you guys think?

T110D4
T112D4
T115D4

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 96
i would not get anything rockford fosgate(new stuff). if money for an alt. is a problem go with just one sub with 500-700 watts. it should work fine with ur alt. and it saves money.

one 15" type r with 500-600 watts will be loud (spl)
one 12" type r will sound better and still be kinda loud

other subs to look at(all less than 700rms)
re se
2 re re
2 image dynamics idq

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 109
Yeah, i guess your right. It's better than nothing. The only problem with the alternator is..... Its to expensive for my girlfriends 95 honda, and it would be a pain in the ace to try and put her alternator on because in near the bottom.

On my 97 taurus, it wouldnt be a problem because the alternator is sitting right on top, but i dont have a cd player in my car, and the f*ckers at circuit city said they would have to take all the speakers wires out and run them in a different way, something about the way ford wires the speakers, and they would have to get the harness kit for the cd player, (which is sadly true). So i dont know what the h$ll i want to do. Either way this sh!ts just not in my budget.

SOooo. a low budget system, How about 800 watts or even a 1000 watts, you think that would be to much? If so ill go with the alpine type r, but ill probly get 2 subs (alpine) only cause two looks better than one, it wouldnt feel right have only one sub... i dunno i can deal with one.

Im not trying to be stubborn, i know i cant defy the laws of science, I just want something nice and loud and thumpin. But if i absolutely need an alternator then ill go with small system for now, besides you guys are the experts and have probably already been through this crap...over and over...

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 110
Yeah, i guess your right. It's better than nothing. The only problem with the alternator is..... Its to expensive for my girlfriends 95 honda, and it would be a pain in the ace to try and put her alternator on because in near the bottom.

On my 97 taurus, it wouldnt be a problem because the alternator is sitting right on top, but i dont have a cd player in my car, and the f*ckers at circuit city said they would have to take all the speakers wires out and run them in a different way, something about the way ford wires the speakers, and they would have to get the harness kit for the cd player, (which is sadly true). So i dont know what the h$ll i want to do. Either way this sh!ts just not in my budget.

SOooo. a low budget system, How about 800 watts or even a 1000 watts, you think that would be to much? If so ill go with the alpine type r, but ill probly get 2 subs (alpine) only cause two looks better than one, it wouldnt feel right to have only one sub... i dunno i can deal with one.

Im not trying to be stubborn, i know i cant defy the laws of science, I just want something nice and loud and thumpin. But if i absolutely need an alternator then ill go with small system for now, besides you guys are the experts and have probably already been through this crap...over and over...

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 111
oops.....hehe

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1547
I would back u up on getting 2 12s type R cause i'm also gonna do that -lol

Buy that 1200.1 orion amp on Soundomain - $375 with FREE s/h currently the best deal in town !........Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 111
your system isnt going to sound "right" unless u get a new HU. Make sure you go somewhere other than best buy or CC when you want to get it looked at because most of the people there have no clue what they are talking about.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 262
theres nothing wrong with one subwoofer setups ... i personally like them more
i would get a kicker kx600.1 and an eclipse TI
there rated at 750 rms but i heard around that they get louder than a SX
i got 600@2ohms my stock alt handles it fine but i cant be blastin it at idle or it will drop to mid - high 11's (as in volts)
nothin i can really do the car is my grandmas after i get my sis's and trade it in i cant do anything else then universal upgrades =(

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 263
damn.... 375 wit free ship ... thats how much the kickers and xenons run at on ebay (after shipping)
just curious i dont know to much bout orions but how are they ( i know ther better than kciker and xenon)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1358
actually, the orion 1200d is on par w/ the kicker kx1200.1

oh, and there is a guy over on the carsound.com forum sellin 4 1200d's for $275 shipped (thats an insane deal!)

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 112
whats his name?

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 113
Yay or Nay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-TYPE-R-SWR-1522D-15-Dual-2-Ohm-SUB-woofer-NEW_W0QQite mZ5821510801QQcategoryZ18804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1361
http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=011285

^ 1200d's for $275

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 114
i cant get in that site, my school filter through the server is blocking it, ill check out when i get home.

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 115
OK< if i buy the 15" alpine type r 2ohm DVC, i can wire it 1 ohm, to an amp that is 1 ohm stable, and i only need 750-800 watts.

OR< Buy the 15" type r 4ohm DVC, i can wire it 2ohm, to an amp that puts out 750 to 800 watts at 2ohms!

Yep, lets go amp searching. Do you guys think i should get a cap for this setup, or do you think it will put more stress an the alternator?

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 116
WTF, Orion H2 10" for less the 200 on ebay, that doesnt sound right...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORION-H2-10-4-10-SUBWOOFER-CAR-SUB-WOOFER-HCCA-2500W_W0QQite mZ5819609809QQcategoryZ3291QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1362
sounddomain.com is selling the H2 10's for $195 shipped w/ warranty.

12's are $230
15's are $265

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 117
i wonder how they sound, My friend has Orions, hes glued to em, he thinks they are the best in the world.....there nice, but ill beat him one day.

IF i get the 15" type r, and lets say i listen to rap most the time and Metal & Rock occasionally, what type of enclosure should i get. PORTED OR SEALED? Sealed is easier, becuase im definetly going to make the box on my own. but i never have built a ported box, but ive read up a lot on it.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1553
2 12s type R = 1000wrms & would be louder & cleaner sounding than 1 15" . + price of 2 12s is cheaper than 1 15" . Powered by the Orion 1200 .
Thats what i would do if it were me ...Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Thugginpali96

Post Number: 20
Hey man look, just search ebay. i got my system all off ebay and i ain't dissappointed at all. All that sh!t about don't trust ebay, ebay is bullsh!t. read the feedback comments and you can always get your money back if you go through paypal. I got 2 type r 12's the 2005 model for 230 shipped!!! I also bought a hifonics 1500 watt mono amp for 262 with a free amp kit which was garbage!!. shouldnt have bought taht one you can easily get one for 250 and save yourself the 10 dollars they charged me on a cheap @ss 4 gauge kit. Anyways... i bought my cap from the flea market for 72 bucks ( a power acousic 3 farad digital capacitor) and purchased a 4 gauge rockford fosgate power kit for like 35 bucks shipped. There you go, you have your 600 dollar system and let me tell you, my sh!t BANGS. i have the subs hooked up to half an ohm right now lol i knwo its gonna mess up my amp but i'm trying to get 2 4 ohm type r's. Good luck

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 118
thanks man, im a huge ebay user, i trust ebay, you just have to know who your buying from, The big Audio sellers on ebay are people like; Electic_mart, caraudiodeals, Thedeepdiscount, www-sonicelectronics-www, hifisoundconnections, etc. If you buy things off ebay, you just have to read all the print. I trust Electic_mart the most only because i bought my first system from them, subs, amp and wires, and the shipped it real fast, and everything was 2005 model, brand new, and in originial package and everything. But 2 12"s sounds good.

BUT!!! considering the rap/rock genre of music i listen to, should i go ported or sealed. I have read up on it, a lot, but i want the forums opinion, im leaning more on ported, only cause i want the deep loud bass notes.

My girlfriends little 60 amp alternator in the 95 civic lx, is not going to hold out to long, I probably kill it with the first bass note, but then i can get her dad to buy a high output alternator, or something to feed my hungry desire to turn her shameful ricer into a portable bass pounding jukebox(hehe)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1623
I like ported more .....

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 121
(2) SWR-1242D = 240.54 shipped
(1) Orion 1200D= 367.99 shipped

there goes 600 dollars

can we find a lower priced amp while staying in the decent brands??

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 122
Hifonics 1000 watt amp for $197.00 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-TX1005D-TITAN-CLASS-D-AMP-1000-WATT-BRAND-NEW_W0QQi temZ5822120868QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hifonics, yes....no?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1625
NO !
if u are getting those Rs then don't screw it up with a underrated amp like that

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 123
haha, IM SORRY. ::gunshot::

ok fine, ill just go with one 15 type r, and a nice amp.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1627
one 15 type r - u could run that really sweet with a matching Alpine MRD M1005D

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 124
That is a good match. Man my head is spinning from all this mismatching. I think i might just go with something smaller. Like....two 12" type s. 300 watts rms/900 max. Then get a nice 600 watt amp, and that should be well within my price range, and within my girlfriend's car's
power limits. I can get two type s's off ebay for 110 plus shipping.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1637
"Man my head is spinning from all this mismatching" - that happens to all of us trying to pick something out ....Upload

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 125
h3ll yeah!, ill definetly get the Orion 1200D you were talking about, i found it on ebay for 285 with free shipping. Hey, rovin, does this look like the right amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Orion-1200d-Amplifiers-D2400-WCC-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ 5822774193QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 126
hold on.... that isnt the orion 1200d. The box says west coast customs?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1665
Looks like it - man that is a sweet azz deal .

wish that deal was around about 6wks back when i ordered my MB Quart raa1000 - i could have stepped up to a pair a RE SE 12s ...dammit ! - lol

I'm now betting that u are now not going with any "econo/low wattage" type S subs again .

That amp is said to be underrated so u can choose out some 600wrms 4ohm DVC subs now or even those 12" type R will rock pretty hard ......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1666
then again u better call them up & find out if its d same original Orion 1200D current model in a custom order West Coast casing ......

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 128
yeah, ill stick with the two type R's. I can get both of those for 220.

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 129
hehe,I should just get the RE SX on ebay for 240. That would be nice, but ill just stick with the Two type r's, and the orion 1200d, which will be almost be 600 dollars. Thanks for helping, ill be sure to post some pics when it comes in and i get it all hooked up.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1669
"but ill just stick with the Two type r's, and the orion 1200d"..-..thats what i would do .....Upload

ranger212's
Unregistered guest
Do u guys think 2 phoenix gold 350 rms DVC subs powered by a clarion 4oo watt peak amp would require a HO alternator like u was talkin about?

ranger212s
Unregistered guest
oh btw i also have a mobile spec 1 farad 20v surge cap with 4 guage power cable

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1678
Clarion is know for their HU & not amps - get a better brand ....

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 133
so rovin, when would you use a capacitor? Cause i dont want to buy one if i dont need one.

Silver Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 137
nevermind, theres about 5 other threads on capacitors now..... and probly a million in the archives
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us