Converted to Ported

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 57
I have 4 polk MoMo 8s in a sealed enclosure and had been unhappy with the output. I dug up a copy of BassBox Pro and discovered that I had enough airspace to go ported. I have the subs grouped in 2s with about 1.1 cubes per 2. I used 2 3"x15" ports per 2 subs and the difference is unbelievable. I did not expect that much of a difference. The SQ remained as well, still tight and clean. I can finally move on to the rest of my system!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3567
Congrats man! Also what is the recommended airspace for your 8's in a ported enclosure?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
.60 cubes per 8.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3569
ok thanks that explains the increase in spl and maintaining of your sound quality

Gold Member

Post Number: 3570
is that 1.1 per 2 subs after the space taken up by the port and subwoofer baskets?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
After the speaker displacement but not the port displacement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3571
oh ok i follow you ...i should have figured no matter what it wouldnt be after the ports

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Here are the T/S for the subs:

Theile/Small Parameters
Recommended Enclosure Sealed / Ported / Bandpass
Resonant Frequency 43 Hz
Qms 15.13
Qes .68
Qts .65
Vas 0.562 cu.ft./15.9 L
Bl 10.2 Tesla Meters
Sd 34.72 sq.in. / 224 sq. cm.
Xmax (linear) .709 in. / 18 mm.
Le 1.84 mH

Gold Member

Post Number: 3572
i was trying to see if my theory of less than recommended airspace using a ported box could work well and to me it seems you proved to me it CAN. I think it all has to do with what frequency you port it too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3573
thats an fs of 43 hz???? you gotta be kidding.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I agree. I still have some tuning to do though, I think I can get it a little better still. I also need to get some donuts on the intakes and flare the outputs. There is much more airflow that I expected. BassBox Pro calculated the velocity and its really not that bad but, might as well do it the right way. One other note, when I switched to ported, I did enable a 24db subsonic filter but its way down at 15Hz. (Just trying to protect my investment from any "wayward knob turners" )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Nope, those specs are real. I looked long and hard to find a decent 8. There are a few "entry level" 8s here and there and a few destined for SPL only. The Momo can talk the talk and walk the walk, with the right enclosures of course.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3574
well I havent run your box size with your port demensions but if you go below port tune you can damage them very easily just keep that in mind. The subsonic filter is good for just that 15 hz and down if thats where you have it set and anything above that can get through unfiltered. If you want to protect the subs the best you want to filter them just below your port tune.

Bronze Member

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 76
Unfortunately my subsonic is only selectable at 15Hz or 30Hz. I'll eventually bump it to 30, it's just a real pain to get to. Most of what I listen to dosen't get that low anyway.

andy roang
Unregistered guest
what kind of retarded person has 4 8" subs!!!! why not go with 2 12's or 2 15's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us