Help deciding which subs to get

Username: Kasadude

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 1
alright i need to get a couple of subs but cant decide between the mtx mxs 1004 or the infinity 1030 i can get them both for the same price and will be putting them in a dual ported enclosure. I'm leaning towards the mtx's but i was concerned with the sound quality and the frequancy level. The Mtx's where shown to only be certified down to 40hz or so whereas the infinitys where at like 25hz. Will the MTX's be able to hit the lows in my songs? About the sound quality, i listen mostly to rap but also rock so I want a sub that can really pound but also can at least handle the drums in rock well without getting sloppy. So all in all which sub will hit better and sound the best the MTX mxs 1004 or the Infinity 1030. Also these are really my only two options unless you can tell me something better for uner 170 for the pair (stupid low budget).

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 199
well if you like deep bass you should go w/ a 12. as far the hz the human hear can only hear to 40hz so below that you won't hear it you will just feel it.( it's kind of cool feels like there is a helicopter in the trunk) also most amps have a subsonic filter that cuts off fq below 40 usually, it depends on the amp. but there are plenty of higher quality subs for under 170 such as JL audio w1v2. Jl audio is a great company and the w1v2 is their entry level sub that is well built and has great SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1063
ucf... human ears hear from like 20hz... try putting a 30hz test tone in ur car and you'll find you can very well hear it. even if you have a subwoofer on ur computer system. go to www.realmofexcursion.com and go to downloads. click the 30hz test tone track. you'll hear it.

Silver Member

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 200
trevor you're right about the hearing fq( you're pretty smart for a 16 yr old j/k :-)) do you really have an escalade?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1067
yes i really have an escalade. its a 2002. my dad went to trade it in for a 2005 and found that they would only give him a given amount(you dont need to know lol) and i had him realize it was about 7thousand short of what the car was actually worth. therefore he gave it to me. that was a good day lol. they see it as a bad day though because thats all i spend my money on now. besides savings an insurance. actually. all i want for xmas is tires and rims. my mom was like thats boring thats all u want nothing else? and im like nope thats it. and shes says but i want to suprise you. im like saying yes would be a big suprise lol... we'll see, ive still got alot of breaking them down to get that yes lol. oh and thanks for the compliment. im a pretty smart kid schoolwise. still have a TON to learn in car audio =)

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 2
thanks for the comments but i dont think i'll go with jl their fairly expensive and dont the mtx's hit harder (wish i could affort the w7 though that this is so sweet)? I may be wrong there though. Also what is the frequancy of most songs (will the mtx be able to hit everything or will it suffer badly in the lows) I'm leading towards the mtx more now because of the dual voice coils, nice magnet size, excursion and performance in a ported box which i heard the infinity's dont handle as well is this true? BTW Trever, that rocks that you have a escalade dude that rocks, those things are so freakin sweet.

Silver Member

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 201
Trevor thats awesome about your escalade what color is it?. Oh and you should get some 24 chrome wheels or maybe 26's haha. that would be sweet are you a fan of spinners? :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1069
lol thanks zach. but which model mtx are you looking at and what is the price. im sure many of us could help you find something beter for cost. oh nevermind you state it was the mxs 1004... yes i would not get this subwoofer at all because of its horrible frequncy range. 43-150 is stupid. you dont even use the top half of that as you will probably crossover your subs at like 80hz. maybe less maybe more. but they are NOT a SQ woofer. .. i just found them for 100 on ebay. thats very cheap but.... a 10 inch type r is 70 and thats a better buy, goes down to 32hz. others i would look into is a cerwin vega v-max and a diamond audio d3. very cheap and quite decent woofers. the diamond plays to 28hz and the CV plays to 20?
jus some ideas. look into it.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1070
ucf. its black with a black grill. i want 24s but they are so expensive. i may look into used idk. but the echelon korums are so nice. 5 inch lip! and they are like 1700 for all 4. but 26s, not until im rich lol. 4K for tires is insane. yes i like spinners. but i can live without them lol. sometimes i like just clean looking rims instead. one idea might be for my dad to give me his rims and him get new ones :-) he has bazo b4s. my favorite 22s ever! but we'll see :-)

Silver Member

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 202
black is the best color for an escalade. i bet it looks sweet. I know wheels are ridiculously expensive i paid about 1700 for my little 17" chrome wheels and tires(Rent a Wheel lol). ya man you can't lose on 22's!

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 3
alrighty thanks guess i wont go with the mtx than so would the infinity be a better choice, and also would the vega v max be better than this one too i'm not very familiar with them

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 4
alright i looked at the diamond audio and the cerwin subs, the diamond audio looks like they would be a little better quality maybe but do you know any good retailers for these subs i havn't ever seen them around here (utah)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1427
www.woofersetc.com has a ton of brands

also look @ products here
www.sonicelectronix.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com
when u find something u like google it for the lowest price .......

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 5
thanks for the links rovin i'm leaning towards the diamond audio d3 now but how does it compare to the infinity, also i really like the cerwin v-max but it seemted to be alot more expensive but which would be the best sub between the infinity 1030's, the cerwin v-max, and the diamond audio d3?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1429
I have to go right now but let this give u a guide on what to choose http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Also check out product reviews

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1071
the vmax and D3 are superior to the infinity. however i dont know whether the d3 or vmax is better...

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 6
i'm leaning toward the d3 becuase although it seems to not have as much excursion it has a rubber surround over the foam which i tend to find is better (but i may be wrong here) I open to suggestions but i'm leaning toward the diamond audio, I also saw a phoenix gold sub that looked pretty good for the price but i've heard alot of bad things about them

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 7
Alright i've narrowed it down to pretty much 3. The Diamond Audio D3 (doesn anyone know the exursion, surround material, and magnet size for this sub?), the Infinity kappa perfect 10 inch (i dont recall the exact model, and the Phoenix Gold X10D4 Xenon. I'm also maybe contemplating the Alpine type S's but I dont know. So which one of these would you guys suggest. Mind you i'm looking really for the hardest hitting sub but also one that hits clean too.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1082
zach whats your price range?

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 8
right around 170 to 200 but now i think i've narrowed it to the Phoenix Gold X10D4 Xenon and the Diamond Audio D3 which one is the better one between these two

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 9
forgot to add that 170 to 200 is for both tens

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1436
so u are looking @ 2 10s around 400wrms a piece right ?

for what amp ?
of those 2 choices i'd pick D3 by a mile - that PG looks really corny/gimmicky while the D3 looks built like it means biznes ....

View it on www.sonicelectronix.com when they have a very close up on products they sell .

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 10
ya thats the deal two tens, but the wattage doesn't matter a whole lot considering i'll be getting a new amp, (the price range on the amp btw is up to 200) I dont care so much about the looks of the PG vs. the Diamond Audio (even though given the Diamond does looked better) but which one will perform better (hit harder but still have the ablilty to have good SQ when I want them to). Also I was going to go ported box but heard that the sealed box offers better handling, x-max, lower frequancy, hits harder, and is better on your voice coils thus making the subs last longer is this true? Should I go with sealed or stick with ported

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1085
not all true. and the D3 is a better sub IMO. get them. but a ported box actually has more control over the woofer than the sealed i think glass or jonathan told me once. and ported definetly hits harder. ported tuned low hits lower frequencies better than sealed too.

Bronze Member

Highland, Ut. Usa

Post Number: 11
sweet i'll stick with ported than and i'll guess i'll get the diamond audio d3 if it is a way better sub, I just thought the PG might hit harder and be better because of its huge magnet size and crazy excursion, which reminds me what is the excursion on the d3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us