Mobile electronics study guide

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 182
i just ordered my MECP basic installer guide. im so stoked! soon i'll be testing, and then getting a job! yes!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3554
congrats man!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3555
by the way what did that cost you to do?

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 82
you shouldn't have to get your license before you get a job? I dont think... just got to somewhere like circuit city and best buy and they pay for all of that for you...
or am I one of the few that actually got a job before I got my license?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10776
hiring people off the street with no training of certification or experience is one of the primary reasons stores like circuit city have such a lousy reputation for their installers.

That should explain a lot right there, honestly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
the study guide i ordered online for $35.50 shipped. i think the test is $80 and there's a testing center right where i live!

best buy requires you be MECP certified to be an installer. circuit city does not. believe me i've tried both.

i'm hoping this will be a pretty quick in to the business.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 83
Hey I had plenty of expierence before I started there. Just no expierence with customers which is why I was training for that part and paperwork and all that for like 2 weeks which sucked.
And I do a great job installing. I make my list and check them all twice lol. Haven't had any returned cars yet, so far... been about two months now? We did have one car come back that was started by one installer and finished by me. He hooked the deck up and I ran the speaker wire to the amp to do the amp by-pass. It was in a 1988 BMW 528e. Tim, The installer who installed the deck and did the "hardwire" hooked the ground to what he thought was the ground. It ended up being the illumination. So everytime she turned on her lights it blew fuses. Left and right. So she came back in and had me, Tim, the supervisor and manager look at it. We ran new wires to the battery and a switch to the ignition... Tim said that should work and didnt use a new ground... So since he said he used ALL new wires... all of us were thinking, ok he used a new ground. So we ran all new wire to the amp and made sure there was no pinches or nothin wrong. And then we thought maybe the deck was pulling more current then it could handle... but none of us could figure it out since there was all "new" wire ran... But after 5 hours of many many ideas being traded we ran a new ground... and it worked... couldn't believe it.
And Tim also did the same thing on a 1985 BMW 638 or something a week before which we had to pay for damages because he took it to BMW...
So Tim won't be doing anymore work on BMW's as long as I am working there, granted I haven't worked there as long as him or not.
I have read the MECP book numerous times, and have done a online test, and a 150 question example test that best buy gives out. I passed them all, so whenever my GM gets me a date i'm going to take my test and get me a raise... and continue to to be as good as I can be...
I love whenever people bring in stuff for me to look at that was installed at other places... A guy came in today with a sub/amps/speakers/deck installed at Circuit city... He wanted to know why he had noises coming through his speakers and why his subs made noises whenever he hit the brakes... So I checked it out... I just popped one floor panel off and opened the trunk... They had all the power wires, signals, speaker wires ZIPTIED TOGETHER!!! WTF is that? then they ran all of them together along the side of the car lol, it was pretty damn messed up. OOO and they used the same grouned as the brakes and gas tank shared... pretty standardized type work they do lol...
But hey, I wasnt tryin to say that you need to MECP certified to get a job, just expierence. And best buy is paying for all of my training/certification fees/ and everything else. Which i'm loving.
I wanted to say something but forgot...
I'm not a bad installer... I just don't have the "certified" field around me lol. By the looks of it, i'm going to be the FIRST MECP certified technician that my actual store has ever had -.- The store hasn't been open long though. But still crazy. They had 3 other installers take it and fail, one of my co-workers Wayne is about to take it to and I know hes gonna pass he knows a he|l of a lot more then me, installation wise. But autosound and basic electronics we are about even. I dunno, and wow this is gonna be one long a@@ post lol. But its ok.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
anybody else have a life-story they wanna share? ;-)
interesting yer best buy didnt require you to be MECP BEFORE you got the job, they do here... lame.
but yah, the only experience i got is doing my own stuff and a few friends things. i figure the MECP will get me some credit as i don't really have any job experience.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 95
yeah it will, I should have my certification in no time. reading the book and learning a lot more at work, well when i work with wayne... that mans a genious... put in a alarm/keyless entry/trunk pop/remote start in about an hour and a half. While still showing me how to do it, i was like wow. I'mma be like that soon lol. But good luck with the certfication and all, and finding a job when you get out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us